Door 6: Vision?

1,115 words. Enjoy!

The fire neared closer. Ambush stared at the flames behind the bookshelves as they ate their way through it. Why wasn't the fire dying? Why was this happening? Were they going to die? Everything felt like it was going in slow motion. Rush behind him, the flames in front of him, it all didn't feel real. Did anything even feel real to him these days? 

Turning to Rush, he sighed. Why was he going so slow? Wait, what? He didn't mean everything felt like it was going in slow motion in a literal sense. The entity watched in horror as the flames burned slowly on the bookshelves, daring to reach out and touch him, but never moving fast enough. Was this some form of shock, or his mind shutting down from the smoke? 

It seemed that time was frozen.

The room began to darken. Confused, Ambush turned from side to side, looking around. Surely Rush would be shaken too, right? The entity turned to his friend. Frozen in the middle of pushing against the door, his friend's eyes laid wide and alert. He looked scared. A feeling of empathy washed over Ambush's face, feeling sad. He understood his friend all too well, and most likely had the same expression on his face not too long ago. Turning back around to face the fires, the feeling of a wave of butterflies crashed through the entity's stomach as he suddenly backed up. In front of the bookshelves was what looked to be a like black hole in the air, the area around the hole warping. Colors of every kind flashed in small lines throughout the sides of the anomaly, distorting Ambush's vision and causing him to blink multiple times to decide whether what he was seeing was real. The entity half expected whatever was about to happen to start telling him to 'be not afraid.'

It was as if he couldn't take his eyes off of the anomaly. The hole just sat there in the quiet of the paused fire, unmoving, in contrast from the bright lighting. Just as he was about to try to get Rush's attention, the sound of warped footsteps hit the wooden floor. Ambush froze, unsure what to do. Should he turn around? No, he shouldn't. Something told him he shouldn't turn around— no, he felt compelled to freeze. The footsteps seemed to glide across the floor, as if though whoever was behind him were walking very elegantly.

'Don't move.'  Ambush told himself over and over in his mind. At last, directly behind him, the footsteps stopped. It felt as if the entire world has been turned quiet— which it had been because apparently time had been stopped. To Ambush's right, a hand so warped and colorful that it strained one's eyes reached out to the doorknob. Closer the hand reached, until only the pointer finger was in front of the object. Leaning forward, the finger lightly touched it. For a second, it seemed as if nothing had happened, the world simply still. Before Ambush could have a second thought, a ripple appeared where the finger had touched the doorknob, a soft ding sounded— it sounded like the bell they had at the entrance of the hotel. Right when Ambush was going to turn around— (he had decided that he really wanted to see who was behind him) the sound of fire crackling returned to the entity's ears, along with the blast of cold air. It had only been a second, but for some reason, the door was open. Rush was already falling over himself exiting the room, so Ambush decided to follow. He felt dumbfounded, shocked, and most of all confused.

Rush whipped past Ambush and slammed the door shut, panting from the extreme heat. Rush then promptly collapsed on the floor, looking nothing less than completely comedic while doing so.

"What just happened?" Ambush eventually stuttered out after a minute of them both laying on the floor together.

"I- I don't know. How did that fire even start?" Rush said breathily. "I thought the hotel didn't let fires happen."

"I'm.. I'm not talking about that. Well, yes, that, but the other thing! You know, time being paused and whatnot?" Ambush blurted out. Rush decided to muster enough strength to lift himself up to give Ambush an 'are you high?' look, only to be responded with a dead serious face. "You saw all that, right?" Ambush whispered.

"I uh--" Rush paused, racking his brain. Time being paused? "No? What happened?" Rush asked. Ambush answered, explaining what he saw in detail. Rush listening intently. After Ambush finished, Rush was quiet for a minute. "So.. so you saw some sort of vision.. and- and that's what you think unlocked the door?" He asked.

"It wasn't a vision!" Ambush sounded exasperated. "Gosh, why would I lie? I've never lied to you before in such a serious situation!" He sounded hurt, but more importantly, Ambush wasn't the type to lie. 

"We should go to Figure about this. He'll know what to do." Rush finally decided. Ambush nodded reluctantly. 

"Let's go, I guess." Ambush said. As Rush got up, he couldn't help but notice his friend and his odd behaviors. Deciding to deal with that later, Rush peeked through the next door, just to make sure there wasn't anything on the other side. Much to his surprise, the room that they were just in with the fire was completely fixed, and the lever in plain sight. Cautious to not make the same mistake again, Ambush held the door whilst Rush pulled down on the lever. Rush then held the gate door open while Ambush made his way to him. The door that Ambush just held made no move to close behind him, but he was still unsure. After a few minutes, the two had made it to door 49, the library doors just in front of them. As Rush stepped forward to push the doors open, Ambush hesitated. Shaking his head before Rush could turn to look at him, he cleared his face of any uncertainties. This would all be figured out soon enough.

Ambush closed his eyes. 'Just focus. This will all be over soon. I'll explain what happened.' Taking a a few seconds to recollect himself, Ambush opened his eyes again. The library doors were open, and Rush was gone. In front of him wasn't the library, though, it was pitch black void behind the grand doors. In the midst of the darkness, a humanoid figure stood still.

Author's note: Sorry for only 1k words and not my regular 1.8k-2k+ word chapters, I just have been very busy and was just on vacation. I hope you enjoyed it all the same!