The Reaping

"Newt, it's time to go!" Rhyette has her hair in a nicely braided bun, she's wearing her brown dress and her best pair of shoes. Her dress has a few stains with a slight tear on one side, and her shoes are scuffed and dirty. She pulls at the collar of her dress a bit, trying to make sure that she looks perfect, or as close to perfect as she can.

"I'm coming!" Newt leaves his room quickly and is fumbling with his tie. He still hasn't mastered how to tie it just yet.

"Come here." His sister smiles at him slightly, he lets go of the tie and walks over to her. Rhyette very gently fixes his tie for him and runs her fingers through his messed-up hair, trying to fix it. "There. Much better." She brushes off her brother's shoulders.

     He is wearing clothes in a very similar condition as his sisters. He is wearing brown slacks that have patches on both legs (that don't match) and an off-white button up shirt. His brown tie and scuffed shoes complete the outfit. His clothes appear to be awfully tight in certain areas; he is starting to out grow them.

     "We should head out." The twins begin their journey across the small house and to the front door. The entire house is cracked and broken. Their home is invaded by rodents. Often times, the rodents were the reason they were fed a meal. It may not be much...but it was home. It was home...AND it reminded them of her.

The twins stare at the door for a slight moment. This is the first Reaping they have had without their mother; she isn't there to say goodbye. She isn't there to wish them luck. They're on their own. It has been two months since their mother had passed. The twins are now fifteen years old; only three more years and this will be over. Three more years and they will never have to worry about this horrid day ever again. The twins join hands and leave their home together. Walking in silence along the way, for there is nothing either one of them can say to make the other feel better. They release hands once they make it to check in.

Rhyette makes her way to the girls line and Newt joins the boys. They blend into the crowd of children. All with many different heights, sizes, colors; all in the same awful shades of brown and withered clothing. All with pale, or even slightly green colored faces, holding back puke or tears. The only difference between them and the others is the others have a parent, or family member with them. Newt and Rhyette are all alone.

Rhyette barely flinches when the needle pricks her finger. She looks down at the sore on her hand and wipes the access blood onto her dress. She folds her hands tightly in front of her and squeezes, knowing Newt is on the other side doing the same thing. It's a mental coping mechanism, transferring comfort to each other while separated, it helps calm them.

Their escort takes the stage and clears her throat. She has a crown of wheat on top of her head and the most extravagant dress made of hay. It does not look very comfortable. Her makeup is dramatic and covers her entire face; she has a giant head of black hair to complete her look. She approaches the microphone.

"Welcome, all, to the 57th Reaping for the Annual Hunger Games! Now, before we begin, I have a special message for all of you, brought to you by The Capitol." She gestures her hands towards the cheap television screens. Rhyette watches as the Capitol Symbol transforms into the Annual Hunger Games video. It's the same thing every year. Hardly anyone pays attention to it.

"War." The video begins. "Terrible war. Widows, orphans, and motherless childs." These words never bothered Rhyette before, but as they are spoken, she tenses up. She squeezes her hands together a little tighter. "This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that loved them, fed them, protected them; brother turned on brother until nothing remained."