02

2018

Gangtae had burdened his family quite literally since the day he was born when he left his mother's womb and caused her the greatest postpartum depression doctors had ever seen, leaving the infant to be cared for by paid babysitters. 

He disappointed his father when, instead of celebrating his tenth birthday, he caught him kissing another boy in the backyard. 

He especially infuriated his parents every time he was caught in a rebellious act that brought too much attention to the family. 

Gangtae revelled in all of it, the judgemental eyes and pointing fingers, loud scoffs and harsh words, tired sighs and sudden yells, there was nothing quite like ruining a person's reputation over and over again.

That was how Gangtae had found himself pushed head first into a vehicle, doors locked and grating dividing the driver and passenger sitting silently. They drove through the city, into the outskirts of the countryside and past beyond that where trees lined the road completely. There was no point in asking questions, not when Gangtae's shouting had done nothing but hurt his throat for those two hours so he slowly turned to gaze out the pristine windows until the top of a large building was seen peaking out from behind the forest of trees.

There stood a sign beside the iron gates.

Parkview psychiatric facility.

The sight of that only made Gangtae fall into another fit of screaming, actions turning violent when men dressed in white pulled him from the van. 

That had been a year ago and Gangtae had been locked away ever since, confined to his room at night and left to wander the premises during the day. He wasn't exactly trapped and the nurses didn't force debilitating drugs down his throat but there was still something about being put in a hospital for the mentally ill that really had Gangtae realise how low he could sink.

Although, he hadn't been all alone as two young men, older than he, were the first to really greet him in his moment of confusion and hatred for himself and the world. They came in a pair, where one went the other followed and it seemed they had known each other even before their time in Parkview.

Their names were Jimin and Taehyung, one timid and the other rather outgoing. 

They made an odd friendship, the three of them, and even without their knowledge of Gangtae's title they still made it known how much they admired him, especially Taehyung.

"I still think you and I would be perfect for each other." Taehyung grinned in that unique way of his, picking at the food on his plate and staring up at a blank Gangtae. Taehyung wasn't afraid to voice his thoughts no matter what they were or to whom, he was often careless with his childish behaviour and yet hid his intelligence for one reason or another.

Jimin's eyes looked from one boy to the other, inspecting everything in sight as he always did. He was the curious type who could understand a person with his innocent face and well-placed words. He was rather quiet but sometimes that worked in his favour.

"And I still think you are obsessed with me." Gangtae rolled his eyes with what appeared to be annoyance if they didn't see the fondness in his suppressed smile. 

Knowing Taehyung meant coping with his constant flirting whether he meant it or not. He was always saying he had an eye for beauty and the first thing he said to Gangtae was about how beautiful he was. To say Gangtae was shocked was an understatement because he was usually the one to tease and toy with people. 

"Obsession or just good taste, you decide." Taehyung shrugged nonchalantly as he bit into a carrot stick.

Jimin hummed, "I will decide and I say definitely an obsession."