chapter seventeen

The icing on the very disturbing cake was the siren renting the air, breaking the silence.

“Fuck, fuck.” Amina exclaimed. “She called the police.” Her eyes darted again to the hung dead body, flickered to the all the blood. They couldn’t be found in here.

“Who called the police?” Grace asked.

“The killer, look, we need to get out of here or certain things are going to be very hard to explain.” Amina told her.

To her credit, Grace didn’t question how Amina knew that the killer was female.

“We can’t move the body, they’re going to find it in here because an ‘anonymous’ tip told them.” Amina explained. “We might get arrested.”

“What?!” Grace shouted, now she was panicking. “I can’t get arrested.”

Amina rolled her eyes. “Technically, everyone in that club might get arrested.”

“How are you so calm about getting arrested? Have you been arrested before?” Grace asked incredulously.

“No, it’s not that I wouldn’t deserve it but Orion has always been above the law. At least, the law you common folk know.” Amina answered. “And I’m not calm.”

It was the truth, she was far from calm. She knew how things was going to go, Joshua was going to end up in the news, he was the owner of the Love Club and the murder might get pinned on him since the body was found in his backroom. He’d end up in a beautiful, big scandal and he might not recover from. Not when his position as leader depended on it.

“Think, Hauwa, think.” Amina exploded, she paced and ran a hand through her hair, her wig came off and she tossed it at Grace who caught it with a startled look.

She took out her phone and made a call. “Joshua, where are you?” She said when he picked up. It was quiet on the other end and hope lit her chest. Maybe he wasn’t at the club anymore.

“I’m driving Ninah home. Is something wrong?” He said, blissfully ignorant and sounding slightly irritated. Joshua hated taking calls while he was driving.

Amina could have fainted from relief. “Allahu Akbar.”

“It takes me leaving to get you to believe in a god again.” He quipped.

She ignored him. “Joshua, everything’s gone wrong. The less you know the better. If my plan goes well, you’ll find out from the news. When the cops ask, you left a few minutes after seven pm.”

There was a terse moment of silence, then. “Okay.”

“You left because your girlfriend wanted ice cream, the party was not your scene.” She continued, she could already visualize the plan, it had to go well or they were screwed. “If you can get ice cream now, by all means, go ahead, take a few pictures and post them. To you, everything is going as normal as it can.”

“And who’s with you?”

“What?” She was confused.

“Is anyone helping you take care of whatever’s happened?” He asked, his voice quiet as if he meant for only her to hear the words.

“I’m Amina Khalid, I don’t need anyone.” She declared with a confidence she didn’t fee, she was usually the one causing the chaos, not fixing them. “But Firepemi and Grace are here.”

“That doesn’t reassure me very much. I’ll call the Dome.”

“Nooo.” She all but screamed. “Don’t, the less Orion is involved in this, the better.”