1.) Babysitter

Multiple conversations bustled around Luke as he partook in his own, mindlessly rambling about movies, people at school, and relationships inside a tiny coffee shop. He didn't care much for most of the group he was with and spent most of his time staring at his phone unless his best friend Savannah was speaking.

"What time is it? My phone is dead..." Luke asked once he found a break in the conversation, watching Savannah pick up her phone and flip it to face her, the light bouncing off her glowing complexion.

"Shit, it's 8:30." She mumbled, grabbing her purse and quickly throwing it over her shoulder. Luke's eyes widened.

"What?! We gotta go!" Luke yelled, grabbing his lifeless phone and wallet, along with Savannah's wrist. He dragged her out of the coffee shop, panicked.

"Have fun, guys! It was nice seeing you!" She yelled as the door shut behind her, Luke climbing into the passenger seat of Savanah's Audi A4 with a groan.

"My dad is going to kill me." The car rumbled as Savannah started up. "He has something important to tell me too. Good thing he's leaving for a few months, or else we would have to say goodbye to Harrison's party next week." Savannah gasped and stared at Luke with puppy eyes.

"I can't go without you! It's our last year!" She complains, flipping her long, braided hair, earning a giggle from Luke.

"Probably not for Harrison." Luke laughed, earning a shocked, look from Savannah as she turned behind her to back out of the small, crowded parking lot.

After fifteen minutes of listening to wildly loud music and belting their cares away out of key, Savannah pulled into Luke's driveway.

"Wish me luck." He trembled as he grabbed his things and stood from the vehicle. As he walked towards the door, Savannah rolled the passenger side window down for a moment of support before she left.

"Love you! Don't fuck this up!" Luke stood on the doorstep, taking a deep breath and opening the door as quietly as possible, placing his things next to the coat rack. As he looked up, he saw his father approaching with a disapproving look.

"I expect you to be late, but thirty-five minutes?" Reece groaned and grabbed his son's wrist, dragging him into the dining room. At the table sat a dark-haired, luxurious-looking man, clearly observing Luke from the top down. "If you would have gotten here on time, you would have had time to prepare for a guest. Sit." Reece grumbled, sitting next to the man as his son huffed and puffed, sitting across from them.

"This is Kane Romano, you know him." Reece confidently introduces, earning a confused look from Luke. As far as he could remember, he had never seen this man in his life, but from what he saw in front of him, he wasn't someone he could easily forget.

"Hush, Reece. He hasn't seen me since he was ten." Kane chuckled deeply, his voice shaking the long, mahogany table as Luke scanned him over with his eyes. 

Kane was tall, at least six feet, and his jet-black hair fell over the top of his head like a waterfall. From his mid-sleeve shirt, Luke could see his few tattoos and veiny forearms. His eyes were a piercing black color, and almost impossible to read for emotion.

"Luke! Please hold your focus long enough to get through this simple conversation." Reece yelled, Kane, chuckling lightly and quickly looking away from Luke. "Kane doesn't like hotels and needs a place to stay while he's here on vacation. He's going to take care of you while I'm gone." Luke's mindset towards Kane quickly flipped from lust to resentment.

"What?! I don't need a babysitter, I'm an adult!" Luke shoots up from his seat, the legs of the chair squeaking on the tile as it shot behind him.

"Well, you certainly don't act like one." Reece rolls his eyes. "Maybe if you didn't sneak out every night or come home drunk, I'd have enough trust in you to leave you alone. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case."

"That's unfair, I-"

"It's not unfair. You're privileged." Luke groaned. He couldn't disagree with his father, because it was true. He knew he looked childish, but his father wasn't exactly father of the year when it came to understanding Luke's emotions.

Luke turned on his heels and began to walk out of the dining room when his father quickly stopped him, his face turning red from anger.

"Not so fast, I have work to do. Please show Kane where his room is." Luke groaned and tossed his head back, waving Kane over, whose body language told him he wasn't a big fan of the father-son rivalry the two had. He'd have to get used to it, though. 

Kane grabbed his bag and Luke led him up the large, granite staircase and towards the hallway where all the rooms were. Luke's room, Reece's room, The guest room, and his older, now moved-out sister's room. He pushed the door to the guestroom open, releasing the scent of a room that had been cleaned by maids months ago and not touched since.

"Listen, I don't want you to hate me just because I'm keeping you from having fun," Kane says in his deep voice, causing Luke to roll his eyes. Kane was being sincere, but how could Luke not? Kane was the reason he couldn't enjoy the rest of his senior year.

"Have fun with that." Luke groaned, turning around and walking out of the room. He had no intentions of following his rules, so there was no point in respecting him. Luke already had a plan for the next night, and he had every intention of letting Kane know how things would go.

"I will," Kane mumbled, the corners of his mouth jerking up as the door shut behind Luke. 

-------------------------

Word Count: 970

Next Post Date: 9/26/2022