chapter 1

Abu Dhabi, 12 december 2021.

As I got out of my car I was filled with joy. But I was also wondering what happened. I won, but how? No max, that are thoughts for another moment, I said to myself. You are world champion, celebrate now. So I did. I celebrated the whole night after. When I finally arrived at the hotel it was 7 am. I was so tired I immediately fell asleep. I woke up around 5 pm. The first thing I did was open my phone. I saw a lot of congrats messages, but also a lot of hate. So I opened a news app and read back everything that happened yesterday. So, not all cars were allowed to pass? Did he break the rules? I never heard of something like this happening before. So, I opened my whatsapp and texted Lewis: "Hey mate, I just read back everything that happened. I just want to say that I didn't mean for this to happen. I'm sorry that I stole your 8th world title. Are you still in the country? I would like to meet up to talk about it". I closed my phone and cleaned up my room, since I was leaving that evening. 3 hours went by and I was calling with family members. Suddenly, I see that I have a notification from Lewis. He responded: "Hey Max, I know you didn't. I'm really confused about what happened last night myself. You couldn't do anything about it, so please don't be sorry. I'm sadly not in Abu Dhabi anymore, I took the plane back to Monaco the same evening. When are you arriving back here? Maybe we can schedule another date for it." I don't know what happened to me, but I was happy he responded. Like a strange kind of happiness. I sent him a text back: "I get your confusion. I'm also still trying to figure out what happened exactly. I'm leaving this evening. What do you think about wednesday?". When I put my phone away I heard my driver ringing the bell. So I grabbed my cases and went downstairs. My driver took the bags from me and put them in the trunk. We rushed to the airport because he arrived a little late to my place. I went through security and got into my plane. There my dad was waiting. He said: "You're late". I took a seat and told him about the driver. We taxied to the runway and took off.

Monaco, 14 december 2021.

We arrived at the airport in Nice and took a cab to my apartment. My dad helped me unpack and told me he would go back to the netherlands. Before he left he whispered to me quickly: "go party a lot, but don't do stuff i wouldn't do". I chuckled like everybody else who read his wikipedia would do. The moment he drove away I got a new text from Lewis. He said: "yeah sounds good. Meet at my house at 7? Maybe we can grab a drink after that. Sorry I took a while to respond, I'm avoiding most messages. See you tomorrow!". And again, I got that weird kind of happiness. But I didn't search for anything behind it. I thought about what I would respond for like 5 minutes and eventually I sent this message: "7 sounds great. Maybe we can even hit the club after? If you're not too old for that ofc ;). I get that, I just muted all my social media apps. See you tomorrow.". He directly read my message and said: "club sounds great. I'm old, but never too old for clubbing with you ;). I smiled, I blushed and I felt truly happy. What has been happening to me lately? I got outside to get some breakfast. On my way there I met my friend Martin Garrix. He was also on his way to the bakery. So we decided to eat together. We both buy a croissant and go to Martin's appartement. We talk all about the past season and of course the last race. After an hour I decided it's time to leave. I walk back to my appartement and go lay in bed and put on a netflix serie. That night I was going to sleep early.

Monaco, 15 december 2021.

I woke up around 10 am and got some yoghurt out of the fridge. I put on my netflix serie again and watched till 6. After that I put on some nice clothes and did my hair. I left the house around 6:30. I get into my Aston Martin and drive to the other side of the city where Lewis lives. When I arrived there it took a while to find a good parking spot, but after 7 minutes I found one. I walk to his door and ring his bell. He directly opens with a big smile. "Hey max!" he says. I smile back and greet him too. We walk in and I see he has a cook standing in his kitchen. I ask: "is today a special day, that you're not cooking yourself?" "Ofc it is, you are coming by". I smile at him but deep down my stomach turns around because of his words. We had a nice dinner and talked about the race. We both still don't really know what went on there. At some point I told him that at some points I hated him last season, but that I don't really know what my feelings are at the moment for him. He says: "same, I've had this weird kind of emotion when I text you or think about you". We talk further after that and around 9 we are done with eating. We decided to go downtown to a club. We take one of his Mercedes collection cars and drive downtown.