𝘚𝘦𝘪𝘴

The faint sound of my curtains swaying followed by a cold breeze travels through my room  causing me to shiver in my sleep

The faint sound of my curtains swaying followed by a cold breeze travels through my room causing me to shiver in my sleep. I groan in frustration and shift around my bed as small goosebumps begin to form on my exposed arms.

I could have sworn I closed my window last night but then again, I was too busy crying my eyes out that I could have forgotten to.

I try to pull up the sheets to cover my arms but they are being weighed down by something. With my eyes still closed, I tug on the sheets harder but they won't move. What the hell? Tugging on them one more time, I manage to partially cover my arms but not fully.

Giving up, I try to go back to sleep, content with being partially covered, but my eyes instantly open when I feel a calloused hand caress the side of my face. My swollen eyes meet with Joseph's light brown ones as his thumb moves down to my lips, pulling down lightly on my bottom lip.

A small gasp escapes from my mouth at the realization that he's actually in my room and I'm not imagining it. "Good morning, mariposa," he whispers gently, as he places his index finger on my lips, urging me to be quiet. (Butterfly)

I quickly sit up on my bed in confusion and slight panic. He looks taken back by my reaction as I push my curly strands away from my face to see if what I am seeing is correct. How the hell did he come into my room? How long has he been in my room?

"J-Joseph, how did you get in here?" I swallow harshly, wondering how he managed to pass by my father's guards.

"Through the window," he points to my window that is wide open. I place my hand on my chest to calm the racing heartbeat. If my father finds out he's here, he will kill him. And then he might kill me.

Joseph gently places his hand on my chin and moves my head to face him. I try to speak but he interrupts me before I can say a word. "Don't worry, no one knows I'm here," he says softly while caressing my chin. "I made sure to take care of the two bodyguards that were in the backyard," he says nonchalantly and my eyes widen.

Take care of?

"I-I don't know what you mean," I stutter, not liking the way he said those words so effortlessly. Joseph isn't the type of person to engage in violence. Yes, he can be a bit aggressive at times like many people are but he isn't a violent person.

He shifts on my bed to move closer to me, grabbing my face in his hands. Instead of making eye contact, my eyes travel down to the waistband of his pants, noticing something black peeking out of it.

"Don't worry about it, mariposa. What matters is that we finally have a chance to talk about us- about what I did," he caresses both sides of my face. I force my eyes away from the foreign object to meet his light brown eyes. "Did you get my messages?" he asks and I nod slowly, gently removing his hands off of my face.