Chapter 2

Bucky took a breath as he locked his apartment. He really needed to get his mind off his time in the army. He was usually aware of his surroundings as he walked toward the elevator, but his mind was fogged with painful memories. Something, well, more of a someone bumped into him, and he reacted quickly, arms reaching out to catch them. Their arms reached out to his biceps to steady themselves. His blue eyes widened as he noticed that a woman had bumped into him. An extremely attractive woman.

Swallowing slowly, he was about to give her a soft smile, when he noticed a cane hanging off her wrist. She was blind. She took a small step back and Bucky cleared his throat.

"Sorry."

She shakes her head, her soft brown curls swishing slightly. "No, I'm sorry. It was my fault, I should've—"

"Watched where you were going?" He chuckles and runs his hand through his hair, a nervous habit. "Doll, it was completely my fault."

He watches her lean against her cane slightly. "Okay."

"Um," He scratches his chin and thinks this is the longest conversation he's had in a while, and he doesn't hate it. "I was just going to go on a walk to clear my head. Could I maybe walk with you to wherever you're going?"

He watches her tighten her grip on her cane and he realizes she must be scared. It must be scary hearing a deep voice and not knowing who it came from, or any voice really. He softens his tone a bit. "I'm Bucky. 3B."

"Penny. And it would help a lot if you could walk with me."

Bucky moves closer to her. She's so small. Penny suits her well. He thinks as he compares the both of them. He reaches out to touch her, but he hesitates. Was she okay with him touching her? As if on command, she lifts her arm out. He interlocks his arm with hers and he has to hold himself back from engulfing her in his full embrace. Something in him wants to protect her from the world. He shakes away his thoughts and stands up straighter.

"So, where are we off to?"

"Oaks High School." She spoke quietly.

Bucky smiled. "I went there when I was younger, lots of good memories. You a teacher there?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm the music teacher. And today is the big performance. I got to make sure everything is set up and ready."

Bucky hummed and walked down the sidewalk looking at their arms intertwined. It was like the fog in his mind thinned. He guided her across the street, and they neared the school. The walk to the school wasn't very long, and he didn't want to leave Penny's company yet. He chewed the inside of his cheek as she untangled her arm with his, leaving a line of goosebumps under the sleeve of his blue Henley.

"Thank you." Penny said as she looked at him.

He froze. Though he knew she couldn't see him, he still felt a warmth blossom in his chest. He shoved his hands in his jean pockets as Penny turned to walk into the school. Before she was out of reach, Bucky gently grasped her shoulder.

"Wait," He exhales and drops his hand back to his side. "Do you need help setting anything up?"

He sees a small smile cross Penny's features. "Well, I usually have Jordan, the custodian, help me set up the stands and chairs, but maybe you could help me this time and maybe give me some details on how it looks."

"Of course, doll." Bucky replied as they walked toward the double doors.

Penny scanned her card and the doors beeped. Bucky opened the door for her before stepping inside himself. He let his hand rest on the small of her back, testing the waters. She didn't flinch, and he could have sworn she leaned into his touch slightly.

~~~~~

"Then I ended up spewing milk out of my nose I was laughing so hard. I was so embarrassed. That was the last time I went on a date." Bucky says as he sets up another music stand.

"And when was that?" Penny giggled in response to his story. He's a lot funnier than she initially thought. And boy, his laugh was attractive. She hasn't spent this much time with another adult in what seemed like forever. People didn't tend to want to hang out with her just because she was blind. It's not like she didn't have a personality.

"Uh, it was before..." She hears him swallow and the air changes. "Before I joined the army."

"Oh." Penny's voice is quiet.

Bucky exhales and forces out a laugh. "I used to be quite the ladies' man, but I guess the ladies aren't too attracted to scars I gained."

The two of them sit in silence for a few moments, and she hears him shift awkwardly.

"For what it's worth, I think you're a good guy. I can't speak on attractiveness physically because, you know, but your personality is attractive." Penny realizes how bold she was but doesn't retract her statement.

A soft exhale escaped his lips. "That's sweet of you, doll."

She hears him rustle around a bit before he speaks again.

"You're pretty attractive too." His voice croons into her ear, sending pleasant shivers down her spine. He's a lot closer now, and she can feel his body heat radiating off him. He clears his throat and takes a step back.

"I, um, I should probably get going."

Penny nods and hears him start to walk away. She wants to be with him again, that much is for sure, so she quickly calls out, "The concert is tonight at 7. If you wanted to come that is."

She can hear the smile in his voice as he responds. "Of course. Until tonight, doll."

"Yeah." She whispers as his steps grow quieter and her heart beats louder with anticipation. "Until tonight."