Chapter 9: The Departing

***

The crowds had grown since breakfast and the city markets were in full swing. The pair pushed through the main way and stalls lining it. Rather than the few scattered among the low sections during a temple day, the entire main way up to the keep itself was packed with every sort of merchant. Food stalls assaulted the nose with every scent the plateau still had to offer alongside the foreign imports, although the most prominent was the longest lasting barely that could survive the trade routes. A few food traders pestered any Ascetic or pilgrim they saw with cases of turmeric root, spotting them among the sea of people as the only flashes of orange and yellow. The crowd had kicked up the street's dust and a few of the foreign traders covered their mouths. Still, Janurana and Dhanur broke through, winding up the alleys to Dhanur's home. A few of those resting in the alley's shade waved to Dhanur and rolled their eyes at how she, yet again, rebuffed their kindness. The pair were nearly running by the time they got through the door, slamming it shut as they got inside.

Dhanur slumped against the door and rubbed at her temples, half to soothe her headache and half to silence her inner voice.

'Told you something would happen,' it said.

'Gehsek's a tiger in bronze. Now he might be on his way.'

'Maybe you should not have missed last time. Sorry. That's a bad joke. Regardless, things are happening. They may turn out to be good after all.'

"I didn't leave anything here, did I?" Janurana asked, peeking around the kitchen area.

"Huh? Oh, uh, no. That's all I ever saw you with." Dhanur waved her hand up and down motioning to Janurana's person.

"Alright." She took in a long, deep breath. "Then I should leave. I wish I could have remained Inside for a while longer."

Dhanur blinked. She lowered her head and crossed her arms. The words bubbled at the rim of the pot, wanting to leave her lips but not quite able to do so. She tapped her foot.

There was a brief silence that felt much longer.

Janurana sucked her teeth, looking away from Dhanur. "But, of course it wasn't to be. Thank you again for your great help and hospitality," Janurana said and started toward the door.

"Probably shouldn't hang around myself now since I went in with you. Great. Not really what was supposed to happen." Dhanur rubbed her temples again.

Janurana sucked her teeth, facing the door. "I'm sorry associating with me led to this. I should have left earlier." She stroked the patch on her hip.

"No. It's fine." Dhanur sighed. "I helped you like I should've when I met you. Now I may've helped those Light lost freaks find you. It's only fair I find you somewhere else to stay. I know a place that'll be safe for a bit. You should be able to rest there before moving on. Maybe head north? Up to Uttara? No gwomoni there. Though they'd probably not like a southerner. Whatever. Still, it's a place to rest."

Janurana chuckled silently in surprise. "I suppose you would know of such a location, madam warrior. A veteran such as yourself must have a multitude of tales."

"What?"

"Thank you. Where is it?" She blinked with a placid smile.

"It's uh, It's a bit of a hike and..."

"Would it be easier if you showed me?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure. I mean, it's that mountain up north, near Vatram. There's a temple there and I know the guru. You can see it fine but, ya know, the Outside and the bridges are out," Dhanur rubbed her neck.

"You really don't have to. I've troubled you enough. I'll be fine."

"You didn't wanna see the records when I said we should and now you have to leave. It's only fair I make it up to you! I just said that."