Part 14 - First Shot

Three days later, Tony is getting ready to go to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters in order to get started with Bruce's treatment. They've decided to do this in two doses because it's the safest thing to do. He gets dressed and picks the suitable car for the occasion.

After driving for a while, he reaches his destination and confidently goes all the way to the lab. Bruce is already waiting for him there, all ready and certain about their decision. Tony claps his hands to get his attention and Bruce immediately turns to face him.

"Tony! I've prepared everything, we should just run the formula one more time and we're good to go" he says enthusiastically.

"I can see that" Tony replies.

"Here, take a seat" Bruce pulls a chair for Tony and they both sit behind the screens.

They check everything carefully for the millionth time and suddenly Tony gets a notification on his phone from JARVIS. He excuses himself and goes to the back of the lab where he's alone.

"JARVIS, what's going on, buddy?" he asks.

"I think you should know this, sir. It's about Ms. Romanoff" those words worry Tony instantly.

"What about her?" he asks seriously.

For the next couple of minutes, JARVIS informs Tony about the events of the other night when Natasha was at his place. JARVIS also lets him know about the item that she took with her on her way out. Tony feels all this anger and rage building up inside of him, but he knows he needs to hide it. Especially because of the location that he's at right now.

"Is everything okay?" Bruce asks him when he goes back to his seat.

"Yes, I just have an update going on and there was an issue" he lies to cover up the truth.

"I hope everything works out well" Bruce says sincerely.

"Me too" Tony agrees.

They finish their check and get started with the final part, which is the actual injection. Minutes before they start the procedure, two visitors arrive. Tony's heartbeat jumps to the sight of Natasha and Fury. He's not sure what their intentions are but he has to act normal.

"Hey, boys" Natasha smiles at them.

"Hey" they both reply.

"So, you're really doing this?" Fury asks.

"Yes, it's the best choice, I'm sure" Bruce replies confidently.

"Are you sure that it's safe?" Natasha asks, sounding concerned.

"I'm positive. We've checked it together countless of times" Bruce points at himself and Tony.

Tony locks eyes with Natasha, the first time after that night that they see each other face to face. She shows him a smirk and raises her eyebrows to wave at him. He sees her being friendly and returns the same gestures.

"Good luck then. Do you mind if we watch?" Fury asks.

"Not at all" Bruce replies.

"Great, we'll be here" Fury continues and they both stay close.

Tony and Bruce look at each other and once Bruce nods they start the procedure. Bruce takes off the one sleeve of his shirt and waits for Tony. There's a specifically designed container in case something goes wrong and Bruce turns into the Hulk. Tony joins Bruce in there, holding the injection and waits a few seconds to be sure.

"I'm ready" Bruce reassures him.

"Okay" Tony nods.

He approaches Bruce with the niddle and carefully injects him with the fluid. When he's done he takes a step back and watches him with fear and anticipation.