ONE: Hunt

Shadowed'Paw had moved to the apprentice den the following day, and Dripping'Sun was going to take her hunting. She already knew how to hunt well enough, from other apprentices such as Core'Paw. Core was an okay cat, he didn't mind her eyes nor the rumors, but he didn't exactly praise the ground she walked upon.

She followed the orange tom that was her mentor out of the camp, and he barely seemed to notice her until he paused at a rock and gestured for her to come closer to him. "This," he said, "Is one of the best places to hunt in our territory. You will practice your skills in this area and this area alone, nowhere else." He had a peculiar accent that made his words seem sharper than they should. [Russian Accent] "If I catch you wandering west, well, hope that an enemy patrol does not see you first. We are close to the border with ShatterClan."

As if he could see me wandering off, part of her scolded. He's blind. But, maybe he can smell your scent drifting away from him, perhaps, or hear your pawsteps. She told her brain to shut up. "Yes, Dripping'Sun," she answered. He had already walked away, though. She turned around, and clambered up the rock, opening herself to any scents around her. She caught one almost immediately. Mouse.

She searched for it scurrying among the leaves, then, crouching, tensed her back legs to propel her leap. She watched it for a moment longer, until it popped its head up. It was searching for a threat. Her. She lunged at that moment, off the rock, and hit the ground lightly, biting the back of the mouse's neck to kill it, so it couldn't alert other prey with a high-pitched squeal. She buried it under dirt and leaf litter to protect it until they returned to camp. She looked around, and saw Dripping'Sun checking the nearest border.

Smart, she realized. He can check the borders while I hunt. Multi-tasking. She decided not to underestimate him in the long run. Behind those empty white eyes was a hard intelligence. She continued her hunt, catching another mouse and a thrush. Little did she know, she'd be hunting something larger in the future. No...not something. Someone.

[SORRY THIS IS A SHORT CHAPTER!!]