This Summer

"Can't believe summer's already almost over."

The sadness in Buck's voice only added to the heavy cloud of depression and hostility that encased us. Damien and Nix were pretending they were cool, but Nix, though he still kissed my cheek and acted as if everything was fine, would turn and walk out any time Damien laced his fingers through mine. Aden, too, had his own issues with Damien. They hadn't spoken more than video game talk over the last couple weeks and I could see the effect it was having on both of them. Aden was just sad and lost, he looked as if he didn't know what to do without having his best friend at his side. Damien was pretty good at internalizing his feelings, but I could tell that his brother and Aden's cold shoulders were taking a toll on him as well.

Phil and Buck were in the midst of setting up for the end of summer party, but the same excitement and giddiness all the guys had held two and a half months ago was long gone. Phil was heading back to MIT, which meant he would be one of the few I wouldn't see until graduation next year. He'd promised to visit a few times given I decided to stay, but I knew that he couldn't remain reliable on them. Buck, too, had decided it was time to man up and was heading down to San Diego to do some internship with a marine biologist.

"It's been one hell of a summer." Hudson responded to our older brother with a weak smile. "Definitely one for the books."

Sam, wbo'd been so silent I'd forgotten he was in the room, laughed quietly as he stared across the room at Hudson beside me. "At least you'll get all the chicks this year. How badass does it sound that you played Knight in Shining Armor to your sister during a shark attack. They'll be swooning in seconds."

Damien, sitting on the couch beside him, smiled at the comment, but Hudson only shifted a little on the seat next to me. His eyes flickered to the window, or likely out it at the beach, at who his heart belonged to. Cady.

"I bet Ari's gonna be having to bat guys away left and right." Buck joked, narrowing his eyes at me. "Damien better watch his back."

I could feel warmth start in my cheeks as I questioned how the hell my brother's knew what had happened the other night. Damien dropped his head with a smile, looking ready to flick the side of Buck's head.

"I'm not worried." Damien said, "If she didn't fall victim to Phoenix, none of those guys stand a chance."

There was a little bit of a bitterness in his voice, but I rose to my feet and squeezed Hudson's shoulder before I could see the conversation go any further. I started down the hall, having to drag my bad foot behind me until I reached my father's room. I knocked a couple times before opening the door. My eyes immediately fell on the balled up tissues in the trash bin beside his desk.

They were splattered with blood.

"I'm okay." A cough followed my father's reassurance. "There's just something in my throat."

The moment my eyes fell on him, something close to a whimper escaped me. There was dried blood on the outer edges of his lips.

"You have to tell them Dad." I whispered. Even Phil, who'd been the one to tell me about this, probably had no idea about this. "You're getting worse."

"I'm not getting worse." Dad waved me off dismissively. "I'm fine, Arianna. I have another good four or five years in me, that should be long enough to make amends."

I nodded toward the trash can. "Four or five years? Dad, you're coughing up blood."

"I'll be okay, Arianna. And I'll tell them. Just give them these last couple days of summer, I promise I'll break it to them before we all part ways."