Chapter 6.2: Still, The Line Must Hold - Part 2

"Holy jeez, keep your heads down low lads!" Aaron shouted as he fired his M16 in the distance.

Besides him is Koharu, silently taking accurate shots with her rifle. But her head and body are a bit exposed to the gunfire.

To Aaron, that just looked reckless.

"Kid, didn't you hear me? Keep your goddamned head down!" He shouted again at her.

"Shut up, I'm already keeping my head down!"

"No you're not." Aaron deadpanned as he watched her take another shot, probably killing some poor sod hundreds of meters away.

"Yes I am!" She responded in irritation, just as a tracer round slammed into her neck.

It simply bounced away tho. Still, that made Aaron feel jealous. Why is this kid bulletproof while he is not? Truly, the world is a cruel place.

Her face turned red in embarrassment due to getting shot, and she resigned herself to simply sitting down with Aaron in the foxhole.

"You're one feisty girl huh?" Aaron commented as he pulled out a cracker.

Koharu's embarrassed face immediately morphed into an angry one.

"W-what do you mean by that?" She demanded in outrage.

"Hey c'mon now, chill chill, just that, you're a bit reckless I mean. That kind of things is deadly here at war." Aaron elaborated a bit, before handing her a cracker, in a comical attempt to appease her.

Koharu, oblivious to his schemes, grabbed the cracker.

"Hmm...alright, I'll let you off for now, but just so you know! I don't like pervy men!"

"Wait, where did you even get the idea that I'm a perv?" Aaron asked wide-eyed.

"Dude you were like drooling at their pictures just moments ago," Nguyen replied beside them, as another artillery shell erupts nearby.

"Pervert!" Koharu exclaimed as she moved a little bit away from Brooke on instinct.

"Must be your monkey brain going crazy from not being with the ladies for years, how long have you been on Nam anyways?" Nguyen continued.

"Hmm...about one year now," Brooke replied.

"Already a year in? Damn, and here I am, still halfway through." Nguyen said.

"That means you're going home soon?" Nguyen asked in a happy tone.

"I guess I will..." Brooke replied, smiling a bit.

"Go home?" Koharu asked.

"Oh yes, deployments here in Nam usually take about a year, then they go back home," Aaron clarified. "Unfortunately...not everyone goes back home."

Koharu understood what he meant. She merely bowed her head in sadness.

"I'm sorry...I guess some of your friends didn't get home too right?"

"Lots of our friends won't," Nguyen smiled. "I still remember Pete, he was a good guy, but I was still new back then. I thought this civilian was no VC, until he shot Pete. Suffice to say that man won't be going home."

"He's just one of the many." His smile looked even sadder.

"..."

"It's sad, but it's not your fault, that's all you gotta remember here. Bad things happen outside of our control, so don't apologize about it." Aaron added as Koharu nodded herself.

She herself still remembers all those men she tried to save, but failed.

"They won't be coming home." She sadly thought. "But as Aaron said, it's not my fault."