CHAPTER TWELVE

For the next few days, Emmy was inconsolable. She stayed in her room, staring at her cream-coloured walls with teary eyes, and relived the moment Prince Alexander had broken her heart. She didn't eat, didn't drink, and she hardly slept because she was afraid of finding the Prince in her dreams. It was only when her older sister came to check on Emmy did she finally tell someone the whole story. Adelaide reminded Emmy of how strong she was, and that Emmy was right to challenge the Prince's offer of a marriage to a stranger.

"Better you find a match for love than being forced to marry someone who doesn't even know what your favourite colour of a dress is," Adelaide said, trying to evoke some emotion other than sadness from her sister.

Emmy smiled slightly; she knew what her sister was doing. "I know," she whispered gently. "I just can't believe that's it."

Adelaide nodded. "I can't believe how he ended things between you too."

Emmy let out a sob. "Me neither." She leaned on her sister. "He was never that heartless or ruthless. Where did all his kindness and love go?"

"It seems it went away when that Duke started talking to him. You were right about him."

Emmy huffed. "I knew he was trouble the moment I first laid eyes on him." She let out a few more sobs before calming herself. "But Alex ... I thought I would have him forever."

"I thought you would too, Emmy," Adelaide said as painful memories sprang to her mind. 

"What am I supposed to do now? My life revolved around Alex. It feels like I can't go on without him." A teardrop fell down her red-hued cheek and onto her bed sheet.

"The first thing to do after something like this has happened is to let your emotions out-"

"Well, I'm quite clearly doing something right then," Emmy chuckled. 

Adelaide laughed. "That's exactly right. You have to let everything out. The tears. The heaviness inside you. The rage. The anger. You need to let most of your emotions out now."

"And then what?"

"Then, you have to start living life again. Now, I'm not saying it's easy, but you have to start to see life past Alex." 

"Even the mention of his name makes me sad!" Emmy cried. She blew into a handkerchief.

"Oh, sorry Emmy." Adelaide took her sister's hand lovingly. "Well, why not start off tomorrow by coming down to breakfast with the rest of us."

"I could ... maybe do that," Emmy pondered.

"And then the next day you should come for breakfast and lunch. And then the following day come for all three meals. That means you have to get dressed, eat with us, and talk with us."

"That just seems so daunting!" Emmy exclaimed. "I'll have to explain to everyone what has happened, and that's just going to make me feel so terribly upset again!"

Adelaide calmed her sister's worries. "Why don't I tell them? That way we can all be on the same page."

"But that's just going to make things awkward," Emmy protested, wishing she didn't have to tell her family about her split from the Prince.

"Well, imagine if you had to explain things. How would that go?"

Emmy relented. "I see your point." She let out a sigh. "Tell them, but don't leave anything out."

"I won't," Adelaide said. 

"And then after I start coming to talk with you and the rest of them, what do I do after that?"

"You start to live a little. Go outside to the lake and read a book. Is it you that likes to do that or Millie? I always forget. Or go to the village and buy a new dress. Ride your horse. Play with Millie. Buy a new book. Go to dances. Just do anything to get A ... him out of your head."

"Alright," Emmy said, her brain working on making a new routine without Alex. 

"I know it feels hard now, but you can do it."

Emmy snuggled up to her sister. "Thank you," she said. "I know we're not the closest, but-"

"You don't have to say anything Emmy."

"But I want to. You've really helped me see things from a new perspective. I couldn't have got myself out of this bout of sadness without you." The two sisters embraced in a loving hug.

Adelaide finally broke away. "Think about one more thing," she said. "You should set yourself one goal now that you're ... single?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well," Adelaide began. "Setting a goal is a good thing to do now as you'll be focusing on it rather than anything else."

"Oh," Emmy said, "I get you now." She thought for a few seconds before coming up with one.

"Good. Now you don't have to tell me but think about it every day or write it down to remember it. But most importantly, complete it! And then tell me when you've done it and what it was."

"Alright. I can do that. Thanks again, Adelaide. You've been such a brilliant help with this situation." Emmy smiled and then started to laugh, and Adelaide joined in.

"It's a strange predicament, but I know you can come back from this. And Emmy, if you ever need anything just ask."

Emmy nodded. Adelaide left the room, leaving Emmy all alone, yet she felt better. She felt stronger yet still emotional, uplifted yet still sad, and loved yet still heartbroken. It all came down to what Adelaide said, and especially the last piece of advice she had given Emmy/

Emmy's goal: show Prince Alexander he had made a huge mistake ending their courtship, by marrying a man for love, and rubbing it in his royal face!