01

this is a love poem-a wandering samurai who has left his homeland

this is a love poem
-
a wandering samurai who has left his homeland

i am thinking now of persephone and the thrown away seeds from her hallowed pomegranates

i am thinking now of persephone and the thrown away seeds from her hallowed pomegranates. autumn caresses my cheek and pulls me in closely, bidding goodbyes to past springs and summers that've ended much too quickly. even so, i can still feel the april breeze stinging like salt on my tongue where winter has long died.

it was barely spring when i had met them with ferns laid in their lap.

the weather had been brightly lit by the sun; delicate flowers bloomed in splendor at its archon and the beginning of life had awakened. in that gentle spring, i felt that the tickling wind, the fresh breeze, freezing gale or destructive typhoon had all finally become one with the harmony.

i remember the way they had gazed at me with those curious eyes of theirs — they always had a habit of that. perhaps it was due to the fact that they were enclosed in solitude for most of their younger years that they looked at me in such a way, like i had put the stars in the sky. i wish they had never did. there are times in my life such as right now that i feel a sense of guilt towards it rather than feeling flattered. it was a sin of mine for having them — a sacrosanct — look for god in my eyes.

when we had both first spoken to each other, we had been young and bright with wide futures ahead of us. still, we remained ignorant to the world around us and i, most importantly, saw no farther than what had been written in ink before me.

'excuse me,' they had called out, finally causing me to look up at them from my reverie. i liked the way their voice rang as they called out to me — calm and quiet with no hint of hesitance (aversion had been something i had become familiar with). when i met their eyes my breath came to a halt. it was like staring into beauty and i quivered. the mere sight of them sparked an almost infinite fantasy.

their beauty, as i remember, was one that had been rather alarming. it was terrifying and incomparable. the hue of their eyes drew me in and i gulped, afraid of losing my footing. for once, i felt self-conscious: i had become painfully aware of how messy my hair had been and how my back was so aggressively slouched.