Chapter Three: New Friends

Cate hardly saw her new husband for the first four days of her marriage. Demery always rode behind the coach, regardless of the weather. Each night on the road, they stayed at inns where he would arrange private rooms for Cate and Miss Skinner before disappearing into the ale parlour. At some point during the second day, they crossed into Wales, although Cate was not exactly sure when. The countryside continued largely unchanged outside the window — wet and green. By the third day, they were near the sea. Sometimes, Cate caught a glimpse of it on the horizon, misty and sullen under a crown of clouds.

Late in the morning of the fourth day — their route was taking them entirely along a coastal road now — they climbed a steep green hill overlooking the sea and approached a gabled stone manor of castle-like appearance thanks to a fanciful tower and many narrow windows. Plas Bryn. Demery's home. And Cate's now too.

Demery introduced her to the servants, lined up and awaiting her arrival, then took her and Miss Skinner into the front hall. Here, the walls were painted in pale turquoise and the panelling varnished in warm honey tones. From the outside of the house, Cate had expected stone walls and tapestries, perhaps a suit of armour. It was a relief to find the medieval theme did not continue indoors.

"My grandfather built the house sixty years ago," Demery said as he led Cate and Miss Skinner through the hall to a sky-lit stairwell. "Unfortunately, my uncle never liked it here. He spent the last years of his life in London and rather neglected the estate. I've been working on restoring it."

Cate thought that deserved polite compliment. "I like what I see of it so far."

"You have not seen more than the entrance hall. It would be foolish to make up your mind off that," Miss Skinner said. "I will reserve my opinion until I have seen the rest."

Demery's manners were too polished to show offence, if he felt any. "Caution is always wise, Miss Skinner."

They reached the landing at the top of the stairs and turned into a gallery overlooking the front lawn.

"This part of the house contains the family apartments," he said. "Mine are beyond the first door, if you ever need me. Yours are here."

He opened a door but did not go through, and through the gap Cate could see hints of a pleasant sitting room: pink and cream papered walls, and dust-blue armchairs.

"I hope you will find the arrangement suitable," Demery said. "If not, you may alter it as you like. Miss Skinner, your bedroom is further along."

Demery moved away down the gallery and Miss Skinner trotted after him.

Cate went into her sitting room. It was large and very well-appointed, with tall windows overlooking the sea in the distance. Further doors opened off it. One seemed to lead to Demery's quarters, but when Cate tried it she found it was locked, or perhaps blocked off. The second led to a windowless servants' passage with further doors off it and a bathtub leaning against a wall. Cate shut it again. The last door led through to a generous pink and cream bedroom, and a soft, welcoming pink bed. There were another two doors within this too: one leading back into the passage, and one leading to a further, smaller bedroom, complete with a crib, nursing chair, and sofa. This was done in cream and blue, and warm, thanks to the fire already going in the grate. Cate lowered Luke gently down into the crib. He yawned and blinked up at her, quite at home in his new surroundings.

Tears blurred Cate's vision. She sank down onto the nursing chair and clutched a cushion to her chest, breathing hard. A suitable arrangement? It was perfect. She had not expected such kindness, such thoughtfulness. And she did not understand why it made her so sad.

It took her some time to regain control of herself, clutching the cushion and squeezing her eyes shut against the tears. When she felt recovered, Luke was asleep. She left him sleeping and went through the last door, which took her, as she had expected, back into the passage. There was one more door here. She thought it would take her to Miss Skinner's room, but when she tried it she found it opened into an alcove in the gallery. She came out of the alcove to find herself face-to-face with Demery, who must have been waiting for her.