𝐕.

𝐇𝐎𝐖𝐋

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐕.

- 112 A . C .

King's Landing

Rhaenyra has tasked Daenys with helping her select a new knight of the Kingsguard. Ser Ryam Redwyne died in his sleep in the night, leaving Ser Harrold Westerling to take his place, and leaving a position open. Daenys stands with her arms linked with her young niece, gazing down at the several men who have been brought forth to present themselves as contenders for the spot.

"Ser Desmond Caron," Ser Harrold introduces, "A fine knight, princesses. Step forward, Ser Desmond!"

As the man comes forth, Ser Harrold continues, "Son of Ser Royce Caron, Ser Desmond has proved strong and steady in both the tourney lists and without. While traveling through the Kingswood on his way to King's Landing, Ser Desmond recently brought a would-be poacher to justice."

There's silence for a long moment before Daenys offers the man a smile. "We thank you for your services to the crown, Ser Desmond."

"Yes," Rhaenyra says, quickly following her aunt's lead. "Many thanks for your loyal service."

"Ser Rymun Mallister," Ser Harrold calls forth next. "Son of Lord Lymond Mallister of Seaguard. Winner of the melee at Cider Hall. He was the last mounted of three-and-twenty knights. Ser Rymun was knighted at eight-and-ten- -"

Daenys holds back a chuckle as Rhaenyra leans over the rail, scanning the assorted knights before she turns to the Lord Commander. "Do any of these knights have combat experience? Beyond capturing poachers?"

Ser Harrold nods.

"Ser Benjen Stark," is called forth next.

Daenys takes a moment to consider the man. He's one of the youngest among them, that much she can see, with long dark hair and a mischievous sort of look in his blue-gray eyes. "Son of Rickon Stark, Ser Benjen fought in the Dornish Marches."

"There are not many Northern knights," Daenys notes.

Ser Benjen smiles, shaking his head. "That there is not, Princess. I am my father's second son, knighthood is all there was for me."