Chapter 31

Camila sighed as she watched the teenager behind the till thumble around with the change in his hand. "You'll have to wait a minute for your coffee," He stuttered. "The machine just got refilled."

She flashed him a small smile and stepped to the side to let the person behind her order. Checking the time on her phone, she looked around the shop and stopped her eyes on the back of Shawn's head. He was sitting on a chair facing away from her with his phone pressed to her ear and she could tell he was in deep conversation.

He had rushed off to the side when his phone rang mumbling something about a job interview and leaving her waiting in the line for her coffee- which she hoped wouldn't take much longer as they had to pick Scarlett up from school soon.

She turned back to the register to see an older, more experienced looking woman hand her the coffee. She took it, smiling at the woman, and made her way over to Shawn. She stopped behind him however, when she heard what he was saying. "Thanks Sinu," He spoke. "And don't say anything to her."

Camila's eyebrows furrowed even more as she heard what he was saying. It didn't sound like anything to do with a job interview unless her mom was giving Shawn a job at her office, but she didn't get why they would keep that a secret.

Shawn ended the call so she stepped around and made her presence known. "Oh, hey." He grinned, clearly unaware she had heard the backend of his conversation. "Are you ready to go get Scar?"

She nodded as he stood up. "Who was on the phone?" She asked.

"Oh, it was just about a job interview." He shrugged, reaching for her hand to take as they started walking to his car.

Camila nodded and wondered why he was lying and what he was keeping as surprise from her.

"What are we doing later?" Shawn asked, breaking her thoughts as they reached his car and he made his way around to the other side.

Camila hopped in the passenger side and set her coffee in the cup holder. "You didn't want anything did you?" She asked, suddenly remembering she hadn't asked him when she went to order. He shook his head and started the ignition, waiting for her answer. "I was thinking," She began and he knew instantly by her tone that he wasn't going to like it. "Scar keeps pestering me about going shopping and Brian and Megan's engagement party is next week and she doesn't have anything to wear to it."

Shawn looked over at her puppy eyes and rolled his own. "You want to go to the Mall?" He asked, already knowing the answer. Camila nodded, knowing there was no way he'd be able to say no to her and Scarlett. "Fine," He mumbled. "We might as well get something to eat there too."

•••••

"Do you need any help?" Camila called through the closed curtain of the children's changing room that Scarlett was behind.

"I can do it by myself." She said, causing Camila to move over to Shawn who was sat on the armchair, patiently waiting.

"She won't let me help her." Camila muttered as she sat herself on his knee and let him wrap his arms around her as she draped one arm around his shoulders.

"She's trying to be independent." Shawn grinned, nuzzling her cheek.

"I know, but she's growing up too fast," Camila mumbled. "And that dress costs ninety-five dollars, I'm scared she'll rip it."

Shawn's eyes widened at the price.

Before they could say anything else, the curtain opened and Scarlett walked out dressed in a pale pink dress with a red rose print and a red bow at the front. "Does it look nice?"