01

Chapter one: to the waters and the wild

Via had been searching her bedroom for the last hour, finally giving up she threw herself down on her bed and let out a frustrated breath of air. The door opening caused her to tilt her head up, not that she didn't know who it was already, she was hyper aware of her brothers presence. He always argued that it was iust his heavy feet on the aged wooden floors, in reality it was just his very loud thoughts. Today he was worried about his hair.

"Are you still not ready? We're leaving in twenty minutes" the boy raised his brows from the door way.

Via stood up and stretched.

"I'm ready, your hair looks shit by the way." She pushed past him smirking because she'd heard his thoughts.

"Really?" Sky rushed into the bathroom.

"Dad! Have you seen my drum sticks?" She yelled unnecessarily because she bumped right into him as she turned a corner.

"Coffee table. What's he doing in there now, this is the fourth time in an hour."

"I may have told him his hair looks bad" she gave an innocent smile.

"Great, we're not gonna be leaving for an hour then." He sighed, rubbing his hand over his face, "cup of tea?"

Via nodded jumping onto the couch, grabbing her drum sticks and starting to drum away on her knees. Saul handed his daughter her mug and sat down next to her sipping on his own tea.

"Nervous for the first day?" He gestured to her leg that was bouncing up and down.

"Not nervous... worried."

"Why's that love?" He set down his mug.

"New people, I guess." She shrugged, "can you please ask Miss Dowling about the room situation, I know she said no last year but because I'm a student mentor this year I thought maybe you could pull some strings."

"I'll ask her, the answer might still be no though. I know you and Phoenix are purely platonic but if she lets the two of you share a dorm, then everyone else will want that too."

"It's worth trying, thank you."

"C'mere." He opened his arms.

Via smiled and instinctively leaned over letting the hug embrace her, for as long as she could remember that had been her safe space.

"Can we end the hug fest and get going any time soon?" Sky's voice came from behind them.

The three of them got in the car, Via being exiled to the back seat while Sky sat in the passenger, not that she minded because she spent most of the journey staring out the window. Saul gave them both his start of term speech about them both being on their best behaviour and setting a good example.

✵ ✵ ✵

Once they were parked Sky said goodbye quickly and rushed off to god knows where, Via tried to help with the bags but was ushered off to 'find some friends'. It didn't take her long to spot her bestfriend, being 6'3 and dressed in an all black suit with a red pocket square made him hard to miss. A grin plastered across her face as she sprinted towards him.

"I missed you!" She half shouted as Phoenix stumbled backwards, the girl still dangling from his neck.

"Not as much as I missed you, do you know what I did over the summer?" He gave her a playful pained look.

"Go on, what did you do?" She finally dropped to the floor.

"Attended a peace conference in the first world... why I couldn't stay at home is beyond me" he spoke as they walked through the courtyard. "Three weeks stuck in boring rooms with boring people, my parents hate me."