Hanahaki..

Please let me do remind you that this is my first time writing a fan fiction. I'm not good at writing so try and bare the mistakes I have made. Also, English isn't my first language so there will be some grammar mistakes. Some characters might be out of character. Please do remember that this is only an AU. :') Anyway, thanks for reading! Enjoy the story!

Hanahaki Disease is a fictional disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings, or when the victim dies. It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.

Shanks's POV:
*Cough Cough Cough*
There was blood, too much blood. I couldn't stop coughing up blood, it hurt like hell and I had no idea on what I should do.. I was alone in my cabinet, it was supposed to be a normal day.. Well, until I was left alone with my thoughts. It's never a good thing, and after seeing the news about him.. It made everything worser. I have been coughing up this blood for years.. not to mention it's not only blood.. I have heard about this, and I'm very sure of it.. That I have 'Hanahaki'. A disease that will end me. Can you even believe it? It's quite funny, being one of the Yonkos and having to die because of a disease not to mention that it's from one-sided love.. Hahaha! I couldn't help but think about how to end this.. I can die from the suffer, which is most likely to happen. The disease could end if he told me his feels, but.. that's impossible.. It's him we're talking about. And another way is to have a surgery which will end up with me forgetting my feelings.. I would hate that. I don't want to forget this feeling.. Yes, it's true that it hurts, so, so much, but in the end it's my love for him.. How can I forget about it and live happily?
. . .
Narrator's POV:
- "Captain!" Shouted Benn Beckmann, calling for his captain. "There's a small island up ahead. Would you like us to stop for getting suplies?"
-"Y-yeah *cough cough* Tell me when we stop." His captain, Shanks answered with a croaky voice, still coughing.
- "Are you okay? You don't sound good and I heard coughing.. Would you like our doctor to check you?" Benn asked with worry in his heart
- "No worries, Benny.. I'll be fine." He answered
- "Aye, captain! Tell us if you need anything." Benn said and left his captain for privacy, still worried for him.
Should I tell them? Well, yeah, I should but still.. I'll tell Benn first.. He's my very first mate. I do trust him with my everything. He must know about this.. Shanks thought to himself trying to get up on his heels and go on board. He finally got himself up and cleaned his bloody mess of a room. Then he went out, he looked like as if he didn't, and he really couldn't sleep last night. His throat was sore, but he felt better after a few cups of sake. He went to his first mate, Benn Beckman.
- "Benn," He said while drinking his sake. "I gotta talk to you." He finished his words.
- "What's it?" Benn asked, wondering what has happened to his captain.
Shanks looked around to see his crew doing their daily chores, some playing games, drinking, and sleeping around. He then turned his head to Benn, and started talking.
- "C'mon, to my room. It's.. Something that needs some privacy. I trust you with this one."
Benn was a little shocked at first, his very reckless of a captain, who has never talked about things that needed privacy, now wants privacy talking. He nodded in agreement, knowing something disturbing has happened. They went to captain's room. Shanks sat down on his bed and in front of him, Benn sat down on the chair.
- "Benny, do you know Hanahaki?" Shanks asked with a sad smile.
- "Hanahaki? I have heard a few stories, captain. Why you ask?" Benn tilted his head a little with confusion.
- "Heh, I think I got the Hanahaki.." He said, slowly chuckling.
- "C-captain.." Benn stuttered at his captain's words.. "S-so you.. love someone?" He didn't know what could be the best thing to say, or ask.. He didn't know why he asked that, guess he had to be sure of it..
- "Yes. I love someone dearly." His captain smiled, widely at that. "And you kinda know that person, actually.. Remember? I have talked about him."
Him? And he talked to me about that person.. Benn started thinking.
- "Buggy?" He asked hesitantly.
- "Bingo." His captain made everything clear now.
- "Captain, what will happen now? You know that you either have a happy ending or.." Benn didn't want to end his sentence. He didn't want to have the idea of that. He didn't like the feelings it gave him..
- "Don't worry, Benn. I told you this because I have understood my ending. Let me help you with that sentence.." He said, looking up to see a shocked and sad first mate. "I'll die." He smiled at him.
- "Please don't say that, captain.." Benn was hurt. Hurt by his captain's words, it pained him knowing his captain's only choice was to wait for his death. His death would be painful, he thought.. "Captain.. don't you wanna talk with Buggy?" He asked calmly, noticing his captain's widened eyes.
- "I.. don't know, Benn." He had a hard time thinking about this. "I don't think Buggy would-"
Before being able to complete his words, Shanks started coughing badly. Benn sat up and put his hand on Shanks's back, supporting him. He saw a few blood covered petals and some full flowers covered with a lot of bloos. He was shocked but kept supporting his captain. He could see the pain, but never would know how it felt. The coughing continued for minutes. Benn helped him settle down on his bed and started cleaning the bloody mess. After that, he went out and went to the kitchen to get some sake for his thoughts to clear up. He never saw Shanks like that. He never thought he would. He never wanted to see.. After drinkimg some sake, he got lost in his thoughts staring st the sea from a little window in kitchen.
What if we really do lose captain? What will happen to the crew? What will happen to the world? It's going to affect so many things.. I don't even want to see Luffy when he hears this.. The kid has a promise to our captain, and we dearly love him for real.. I honestly think that he sees Shanks as a father figure in his life.. I don't even want to have to tell everyone about this. Wait.. can I even tell someone? I mean he told me that he trusted me.. I'll keep this a secret for now..