Inner Date

Inner Date

By Kendra McCallum

Characters

Melody

Max

Inner Melody

Inner Max

Lucas/Luke

Setting

Central Park, New York

We begin in the center of the stage where there is a Park Bench, beside it, there is a pot of flowers, a tree, and a street sign that says Central Park to resemble a private place in the center of Central Park, New York.

(Melody and Max enter stage right walking together towards the bench and sitting down far away from each other not saying a word or looking at one another giving off some awkward energy, when finally, they have the courage to speak, but end up speaking at the same time)

MELODY MAX

Thank you for Dinner...... So... how did you like....

(Short pause of awkwardness)

MAX

You go first.

MELODY

Oh no, you can go, sorry.

Before Max can speak, MELODY and MAX freeze in place. Meanwhile two spotlights appear next to each side of the benches and INNER MAX and INNER MELODY appear in their own spotlight next to their counterparts.

INNER MELODY

God, can't we just move on already?! Talk to him!

INNER MAX

Ugh, why did I interrupt her! I feel so stupid!

MELODY AND MAX unfreeze

MAX

I was just going to ask if you liked dinner?

MELODY

Yea, (laughing).... It was great.

MAX

Glad you like it! It's my all-time favourite, but usually I never bring anyone with me.... That must make you really special huh?

MELODY and MAX freeze

INNER MELODY

It was actually really disgusting. It looked really nice on the outside, but service was terrible, and the food sure didn't make up for it. I'm surprised I made it out of the restaurant without puking up my guts. I really don't understand why he likes this place.

MELODY and MAX unfreeze

MELODY

Thanks again... it was really sweet. You really didn't have to pay for me.

MAX

It's my treat! And I know I didn't have too, but it's not that often that I go out with a pretty girl like you. Football and school has got me so busy, I barley had any free time to myself.