ii

╔.𖥸. .════════════════╗

𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬

chapter twohappy halloween

chapter two
happy halloween

╚════════════════. .❀.╝

ALYSSA SAT AT the usual table in the cafeteria. She was chewing a piece of gum, absentmindedly blowing a bubble once in a while. One of her knees was tucked into her chest as she stared down at her science homework on the table, trying to figure out what the hell it all meant. She often did homework at lunch instead of waiting to do it at home because Eli and Demetri could help her with the things she would get stuck on.

Currently, Counselor Blatt was giving some speech about cyberbullying. Alyssa wasn't really paying attention — clearly. She was chewing gum and balancing equations. Other people weren't paying attention either. They were whispering with their friends or scrolling through their phone in boredom.

"Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face," Counselor Blatt said. "I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

Alyssa's gum bubble suddenly popped and she stopped writing on her worksheet. She slowly looked up, a frown appearing on her face. Eli was looking around the cafeteria nervously, lifting up a hand to cover his scar like he usually did. Alyssa looked around the cafeteria to see that people had started to stare. Flashbacks of holding Eli on his bed as he cried flew through her mind.

He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve any of it. And Counselor Blatt might've thought she was trying to help, but in reality, she was just making everything worse.

Alyssa reached forwards and took the hand covering his scar. She gave him a soft, sad smile and lowered it under the table. Usually, she would squeeze his hand and let it go, reassuring him that it would be okay. But not today. Instead, she interlocked their fingers together and held onto him tight. Eli didn't let go, and neither did Alyssa.

"But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe space for all students," Counselor Blatt continued.

Miguel looked over at Eli. "You know, if you're sick of getting bullied, my karate dojo's looking for recruits."

"I didn't know you did karate," Alyssa said.

Miguel shrugged. "It's new."

"Yeah, right," Demetri replied sarcastically. "You hear that, Eli? A little karate training, and you're gonna kick some major ass."