Chapter 4: New Teams

Two weeks later, the novelty of a new house wore off and most of the little ones were bored. Afterall, if we'd been at home, they'd be spending long afternoons at camp, competing in sports, or with their friends. But, as it was, we'd arrived too late to be signed up for summer sports and activities, and too soon for them to start fall. Dad was leaving early in the mornings and staying late at his new job. Mom was overworked trying to put the house together for us in time for school to start back up soon. It was a lot.

Like A LOT, a lot.

I'd tried to pick up some slack for my parents. The way I saw it, this upheaval had to be temporary. Once we all settled in with our new teams and new routines, we'd go back to a semblance of normal. Or well, the new normal that would exist in this new house and new city.

I'd organized games on my volleyball court to help me practice and to keep the others busy. Of course not everyone wanted to play, and those who did want to play didn't want to play fair. For instance, my lovely little sister Sarah's serve was out, and when I pointed this out to her, the conversation went a little something like this.

"Out!"

"That was not out!"

Mark, who had been observing the game as a neutral referee, gave a heavy sigh and cringed as he looked over at Sarah. "Uh...it's technically out. It was just passed the line."

"Do you need new glasses FedEx?! That was in!"

"Sarah!" I yelled at her, giving her my best Baker glare. One that could match her own. "Do not call him FedEx and you were out! If you won't accept the ref's calls without resorting to violence you'll be suspended from the Baker League of Family Sports for at least two weeks!"

"That's not fair!" she put her hands on her hips, and her teammates, which included Jake and Henry, backed away from her very slowly as they would later swear that they saw literal steam coming from her ears.

"I don't make the rules," I shrugged, undisturbed by her outburst. I'd have expected nothing less and honestly, would have been disappointed if she hadn't made a fuss. I mean, if this were a real match and that was my serve, I definitely would have fought the refs.

"YES! YES YOU DO MAKE THE RULES REESE! MOM GAVE YOU SPORTS AUTHORITY AFTER THE SOCCER INCIDENT!" her voice became shrill.

I kept my expression mild and voice calm, which only seemed to irritate her farther.

"Huh. I guess I do. Although, you must admit, kicking the ball at Jake's, erm... parts after he caught your penalty kick was going too far." As if remembering the pain, Jake covered himself and scrambled backwards even farther than he already was.

"Whatever!" she grumbled, her voice lowering a few octaves, and then she sighed. "Kim! Your serve!"

Yeah, I might have been better off playing with myself, if only to avoid the headache, but I'm always willing to admit that Sarah is a pretty good volleyball player. I had to do some serious work to play against her when she caught her stride, which was good training. 

All of this culminated up to this morning. Sign up day. The day that I would introduce myself to a new coach. The day I registered for a new team. I was a little nervous and a lot sad. It felt wrong to be going into training without Bekah.

Then, for the first time in weeks, I felt that small sting of anger. Of resentment. I should have been Captain this year! I should have had weeks of camp behind me, weeks of leading my team through drills. Weeks with MY TEAM.

But just as quickly as it came, the anger went away. Sure, it hurt, but it wasn't important. None of it was as important as being here. Not as important as my Dad finally having his dream job. Not as important as helping my siblings through this new adjustment. Not as important as my family because they were my first team. My home team.