Chapter 2: Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

~ Present time ~

"Nix..."

I'm about to leave the building when I heard that voice again.

"Uhhhm... A-anika...", he stuttered.

I closed my eyes in exasperation, put my hand on my head to massage my temples in my attempt to calm my nerves, and sighed loudly while I turn around to face him.

"LOOK, GINO....", I started.

"I said this already earlier and I want to make this clear...again. I don't want to give you 5 minutes of my time. And I don't want to see you come near me again.

Kasi diba, it's been what? 1 year?! Ang kapal naman ng mukha mo. You left me hanging when you suddenly left for the States. You cut me off your life na para bang balewala lang ako at ang 4 years na merong 'tayo'. You just left me a freaking letter saying na break na tayo, you needed space, and that typical a**hole cliché line na, 'it's not you, it's me' while I'm so sure of myself that there's nothing wrong in our relationship before you left.
And no, I don't even want to give you a few more minutes of my time. At kung ano man 'yang gusto mong sabihin, JUST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. Just like how you kept from me whatever problems that you have with me, na alam kong wala naman,nung umalis ka...", I stated.

I am pissed. I'm really pissed.

Talo nya pa ang magnanakaw. Dumating sya sa buhay ko, umalis, at ngayon nagbabalik- because of what? To get more from me? ANG KAPAL. I do not want anything to do with him anymore.

And what pisses me the most? After I said those things, with apologetic eyes, He nodded his head and try to smile at me as if he understood everything that I said.

That smile... the same sheepish smile that he gave me before whenever he tries to understand me patiently.

I don't want to see any emotions from him.

I am shaking. My whole body is shaking from anger... from the memories of pain, sudden loss and betrayal. I went straight to my car, slammed the door and left the parking area. I left him there. Just like what he did to me. He f*cking left me.

Kanina, gulat ang naramdaman ko when I first saw him. I don't know, maybe overwhelmed... basta, mixed emotions! I was taken aback that he was there standing right in front of me. Standing in front of me. He's back dito sa Pinas. And what? Inabangan nya ko doon sa coffee shop kasi alam nya na bumibili ako lagi ng kape dun tuwing umaga? But how did he know my office building? Kulang pa ba yung sakit na pinaramdam nya sa akin last year? Ano pa ba ang gusto niya?

No. I shouldn't think about that. I shouldn't think of him anymore.

I looked at what's in front of me. EDSA traffic. I sighed.
I turned on the radio to help me calm my nerves.

🎶
"And we can build this dream together
Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now
And if this world runs out of lovers
We'll still have each other
Nothing's gonna stop us
Nothing's gonna stop us now"

Tears started flowing from my eyes as I listened to the music.

-----
~ 6 years ago, during graduation ball ~
And this year's King and Queen of the ball, Gino Gabriel Lopez and Anika Amandine Gonzales!
The crowd cheered and Gino took my hand and led me to the stage. They put the crowns on top of our heads and  the sash across our shoulders. They made us  dance in the middle of the dance floor. Gino gave me a sweet smile and invited me to dance with him.

My heart was beating really fast. My hands were already sweaty but that smile and that intense gaze from Gino made my knees feel wobbly.
Ang pogi. Brown, almond-like eyes, soft, shiny hair, tall, athletic, smart with those thin lips... Gino. I sighed dreamily. And he's going to be mine now.

"Gino..." I started.

🎶
"Let 'em say we're crazy
I don't care about that
Put your hand in my hand
Baby, don't ever look back
Let the world around us
Just fall apart
Baby, we can make it
If we're heart to heart"

"Sinasagot na kita. Let's be happy together."

🎶
"And we can build this dream together
Standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now
And if this world runs out of lovers
We'll still have each other
Nothing's gonna stop us
Nothing's gonna stop us now"

He froze after hearing those words. He can't believe what he just heard. And when it sink in on him, he had tears on his eyes as he hugged me tightly while  we're dancing.

"Thank you, Nix. You'll never regret this. I love you so much.", he whispered.

--
~ Present time~

But I did.
Honking cars brought me back to reality. I wiped the tears from my face that I didn't notice that was flowing, changed the music... the music and voices of Morisette and Daniel Padilla that I used to love, and then drove patiently until I got home.