The Professor, The Chapter Two

The servant bowed before speaking. "You have a guest, Professor."

Jevelyn took a sip of tea, her eyes scanning the hand-written letter in front of her for one last time before she gave her signature at the end. She looked up at the servant briefly, then back at the parchment of paper. "Send them in."

The servant bowed again, then retreated into the darkness of the hallway.

Jevelyn liked to keep her motel room dark, except the place which was her study room. So she couldn't be disturbed by anything or anyone else while she was studying or teaching or sometimes just relaxing.

The servants, however, always seemed to find a way to disturb the tranquility.

Jevelyn signed her name at the end of the written content of the letter, dropped the quill in the ink bottle and then began rolling the parchment. This would now go to the parents of Miss Cladia Russie, who had not attended her History lesson and had instead gone with the local baker's son to watch the sunset.

Jevelyn did not care about sunsets, or how gorgeous or alluring they were. What she cared about was how she had to transform the Russies' daughter into an educated, noble and skilful young woman.

She reached for the thread to tie the paper roll, and soon heard the sound of footsteps. Out of instincts, she glanced up.

The figure was still standing in the darker part of the room, where the shadows lived, but Jevelyn caught sight of glinting gems and a gold embroidered dress that seemed to take up most of the floor. And then she saw the crown, after which, it was the only thing she saw. Perched upon the head, a studded accessory that couldn't be mistaken for anything else under any circumstances—The Crown.

Jevelyn kept the rolled-up letter on the table, trying not to bother by how it immediately came loose, and she rose to her feet. What followed was an elegant courtesy.

"Your Majesty, what an honor." Even as Jevelyn was staring at the dirty motel floor, there was a slight frown etched on her forehead, wondering what it would be that made Her Majesty herself arrive at her doorstep.

"The pleasure's all mine, Jevelyn," the Queen said, stepping forward into the light. Jevelyn tried not to get mesmerized by her beauty, and the overall aura the Queen presented. Her attire polished up and elegant, and face devoid of any crease or worry, or any indication of her being the same age as Jevelyn. Because Jevelyn was effectively trained as such, she hid her envy before it could become evident on her face. 

"However," the Queen said. "I can't say I do not possess a superior motive behind this visit." She gestured towards an empty chair in Jevelyn's temporary study room. "Mind if we sit and talk?"

"Sure, Your Majesty," Jevelyn hurriedly said, then cleared away some of the papers that were scattered on the table. "My apologies for this mess."

The Queen waved that away.

"Would you like to have some tea?"

The Queen waved that away too.

Jevelyn exhaled a breath quietly, then sat down in her chair. Immediately, the Queen opened her mouth to speak, but Jevelyn cut her off—wincing over her mistake of interrupting right after she had done it. "I heard about your daughter's coronation ceremony, recently. I'm sorry I couldn't attend it. How did it go?"

"That's actually what I'm here to talk about," the Queen began, staring at the stone wall of the motel with a blank gaze. "The coronation ceremony wasn't successful. And seeing how Ligh behaved in there, I've realized that she's not ready to become the Queen yet. She still has to learn some mannerisms for her to ascend the throne." She met Jevelyn's eyes. "However, we also haven't failed to notice how we need a successor soon. Someone needs to take over the affairs of the kingdom and start participating actively in all decision-making. The King and I are getting old."

Jevelyn nodded. She understood that term very well. Getting old. "Any help I may provide you with that?"

The Queen took a deep breath. "I want you to take her in."

Jevelyn blinked. "Take…Princess Ligh in?" With every passing second, there was a doubt growing inside her that she had indeed heard the Queen right. And that doubt grew into certainty when the Queen nodded in affirmation. Jevelyn panicked when she realised that the Queen looked determined, like it was now settled here, and Princess Ligh was a problem for Jevelyn to deal with.

"But, Your Majesty," Jevelyn began frantically. "I'm sorry, I thought you had it in your knowledge that I wasn't going to stay in Gontas for long."

She was only living in this small and shabby motel room for a few days to complete some tasks she had in the area and neighbouring kingdoms. But to collect a wardship from here was another level of anxiety and burden. She had to regularly go places and attend universities and seminars. She couldn't do that with a spoiled princess constantly pestering her.

And everyone knew how spoiled Princess Ligh was.

"Yes, I know you are going to leave, Jevelyn," the Queen said. "I want you to take her with yourself."

Jevelyn's eyes bulged. "You're…you're sending her away?"

Even a small child in the land of Gontas knew what it meant if a prince or a princess was sent away from the kingdom for reasons other than war, or for reasons not specified. It usually meant two things: either that the royal child had done something closer to a crime than it was to something easily forgivable, or that the King and Queen were too stern. Jevelyn was inclined to believe that both were true in this case.

The Queen then voiced what Jevelyn was thinking and frowning upon. "Yes," she agreed. "This is her exile."