1

It started out as any other day for the Reagan family. Danny and Linda had got up early enough to get themselves ready for the day before they had to get their boys up and ready for school. Erin got herself ready for work and said goodbye to her teenage daughter as they went their respective ways to school and work. Frank got ready for another day as the police commissioner. Henry spent the day at home like he normally did as a retired cop, and Jamie got ready for another day on patrol with his partner Eddie Janko. Every door that was shut by the Reagans that morning was shut expecting it to be like any other day. It would take all of two hours for their expectations to be flipped on their heads.

Eddie and Jamie were in pursuit on foot of a suspect who had robbed a convenience store at gunpoint. While no one inside the store was physically harmed, the suspect had fired two shots at the two officers and fled the scene. Jamie was leading the chase, and Eddie was following close behind, requesting back-up over her radio, giving their current location and the direction they were running in.

"Stop," Jamie shouted for the third time. He turned the corner down an alleyway, following after the perp. Eddie watched, deciding that she would follow the path. Her heart nearly stopped when she heard three gunshots and saw one of the windows of a car across the street shatter.

Eddie spoke through her radio again. "Shots fired! I repeat: shots fired at the police!"

She ran and turned the corner, her breath catching in her throat when she saw her partner laying on the ground with blood pooling around him. Her heart was pounding against her chest as she looked around to see that the suspect was nowhere in sight. She quickly ran up to where Jamie lay on the ground, relaying the current situation to dispatch.

"I need a bus forthwith at my location! I'm in an alleyway just off the corner of 34th and North Jackson boulevard! My partner has been shot! I repeat, my partner has been shot!"

She took her hand off of her radio and put pressure on the gunshot wounds. Jamie had been shot twice, once in the chest just above the vest, and once in the abdomen just below the vest, and the blood was coming out faster than Eddie liked.

"You're gonna be okay, Jamie," she tried to assure him, though they both knew how bad this was. "Just stay with me, alright? Help is on the way. Just stay with me."

Not even two minutes later, the street outside the alleyway was inundated with patrol units who had heard and responded to the call, along with an ambulance, which had backed up into the alleyway. The paramedics grabbed what they needed out of the ambulance and rushed over to where Eddie and Jamie were. With the help of two other officers, they got Jamie onto a backboard and loaded him up in the ambulance. Eddie climbed in and rode with them to the St. Victor's and prayed silently as the ambulance raced through the streets of New York City. She wasn't the praying type, but the entire ride with the lights and sirens she was praying to God that Jamie would pull through this.

Just as they pulled up in front of the emergency room, Jamie lost consciousness and his pressure began to bottom out. The paramedic who had been driving opened the doors to the back of the ambulance where four police officers and two ER doctors met them. The medics relayed to the doctors all the information they had, and Eddie told them exactly what she could remember from the time she heard the gunshots to when she made it into the alleyway and found him lying there. They wheeled the stretched into trauma bay two and transferred him from the stretcher to the hospital bed. The paramedics quickly got out of the way, and Officer Sanchez had to practically drag Eddie out of the hospital room so that the doctors could have room to work.

"You need to give them room," he told her, knowing what Eddie was feeling in that moment. It had barely been two years since his previous partner had died in a shootout with a gang. He hadn't even made it to the hospital. "Janko, there's nothing you can do in there. Let them do their job."