Giselle

When Myrtha gathered me and the other Wilis together, she whispered to me that I would soon be made human again. I was ecstatic, but slightly perturbed. "I thought that it was impossible," I said. "Nothing is impossible with enchantment," said Myrtha gleefully. "This is what I've always wanted for you. You get to be alive in the lifetime of many of your friends and family. You can eat and drink and feel the sun on your skin. Isn't it what you've always wanted?"

I agreed, but I could sense that there was something amiss by Myrtha's unusual cheerfulness. The Warlock came to the clearing, and began the spell, I was brought to the center of the gravesite while the hideous old man muttered arcane incantations. When he was finished, the other Wilis wafted away with the breeze. I remained rooted to my spot as the sun began to shine. I stubbed my toe accidentally on a rock, and I felt the pain.

Euphoric at this discovery, I placed my hands on my hair and felt the light heat every strand. I was alive! I was human! What was Myrtha doing? She opened a portal, and the Warlock stepped inside. Myrtha was about to do the same.

"Where are you going?" I asked, feeling my stomach sink with dread. Myrtha stepped into the portal and reached out, caressing my warm face in her hands. "It's for the best, Zelle. One day you'll thank me," she said pityingly.

"But... I love you!" I cried. My cry rang into the air with the hollow pang of inescapable longing. Myrtha simply looked at me, long and hard. I detected the faintest glimmer of relenting in her impassive face, but it slipped away almost as soon as it appeared.
Disdain bled from her lips, which were still ripe with gore from a recent feeding. Her eyes glittered lifelessly and without remorse.

"That's your misfortune," she said coldly, ever the monster of her nature.

The portal closed, sealing her away from me presumably forever. I was left alone where I would have to come to terms with the prison of flesh that was my new-found humanity.

THE END