+1-518-555-0182

Law's POV

It had been a couple days since returning home from Sengoku's and Law had returned to his usual classes. Thanksgiving break would be arriving soon and Law had the urge to take (Y/n) somewhere. He'd been saving up quite a bit from tutoring and could afford a small trip now. This was good; he got the fleeting suspicion that every time they traveled, it threw off any potential risks. It never lasted long, but it was better than nothing.

Law entered the house after arriving back from school and went to call that he was home, but stopped. Had the door been locked? He knew he'd locked the door before heading to class early this morning; he'd checked it twice. If (Y/n) had gone out, she would have locked it behind her. She hadn't texted him all day either, something she promised she'd do if she went out again. No, something was off.

Someone was in the house.

Narrowing his eyes, Law stepped into the house with silent footsteps and slid the door shut behind him with a soft click. He left his bag in the walkway after pulling something from it and slipping it into his hoodie pocket. The bag would trip whoever ran this way haphazardly; escape was not going to be simple for whoever it was. The only sound that came from him was the gentle snap of his pocket knife flipping open. The house was very quiet, as if all the foundation itself held its breath for what was anticipated to come.

Steel gray eyes had turned a sharp gleaming silver, calculating and almost predatorial. Controlled, hushed breathing and careful steps as he advanced down the hall. Old habits die hard and although it'd been years since the last time, his body moved in a way that it had grown up learning. He knew this house. Two years was plenty of time for him to learn where every creak in the floorboards was, every blind spot, every hiding place. Whoever had broken in just essentially walked into a house of glass against Law.

He paused next to the first door in the hallway, eyes flicking down. The doorknob had a very slight coat of dust on it. Not here, he wouldn't bother. The next further down had been left ajar; there were smudged fingerprints on the golden handle. He stopped and listened. Nothing, just the sound of dust moving through the air. Down the hall he continued, slow moving like the shadows with the evening sun. He couldn't rush this.

The kitchen and living room were both clear. He paused very briefly when he noticed a white card on the floor of the kitchen, behind the island. It would have to wait. He carried on, knife drawn and ready. The only two places left to check were the bedroom and basement. Silver eyes glinted; for their sake, he hoped it wasn't the basement. (Y/n) was still missing and if any harm had come to her...

Law stopped in front of the bedroom. The door was half open and a light spilled out. Carefully, he listened. The sound of faint shuffling could be heard along with soft breathing. Closer, listen closer. He closed his eyes and concentrated. The breathing had a slight off murmur to it and the movements were just a touch erratic. Not (Y/n). He knew the pattern of her breathing too well, knew how she moved. Whoever this was, was about to desperately wish they'd never broken in.

The sound of movement was coming from the walk in closet. Law pushed the bedroom door open, stopping just before the point where it creaked. A woman with a slender build and wild green hair was rooting through the closet. Law's eyes narrowed and he set his jaw; she was vaguely familiar. Moving silently across the carpet was much easier and soon he was standing right behind her. If she'd turned around and seen him looming there with the expression he had now, she would have fainted from fright. She might faint anyway.

A sudden shriek erupted from the woman as Law grabbed her, but it was cut off when he covered her mouth and dug the tip of his knife into her neck.

"If you struggle or try to elbow me, you will die. My knife is poised directly over your artery, if I flick my wrist slightly you will bleed out within about three minutes. We both know help won't arrive for you fast enough and I'd rather not stain the carpet." Law growled. His eyes were as cold as chips of ice and he moved his hand off her mouth. "I suggest you start talking."