Monarch Wings

Four months went by since Qui-Gon was revived, and despite the Clone War still going on, there were some Jedi who were pretty happy now. And their names were Gabriella Skywalker and Lamenta Jinn.

Gabby and Lamenta were both very happy that Qui-Gon was such a loving grandfather to both of them. He played with them, gave them lots of hugs and kisses, and even showed them all kinds of mischievous tricks to perform with the Force, especially tickling and/or scare pranks. Gabby used one of those to give Caleb Dume a good scare to finally get back at him for making her scared of clowns. Sure, revenge wasn't the Jedi way, but she was a child, and it was a lot of fun being the prankster instead of the victim.

And every night before the girls went to bed, Qui-Gon sang them the lullaby he sang to Carmine, and Carmine often sang along too. Tonight was no different... except for one thing.

Gabby woke up sometime during the night and snuck out of her room to sit on one of the roofs where Anakin had grown some zinnias. Her father was away on another mission with his Padawan and Obi-Wan, and they'd been gone for three days already. She missed them all something awful, especially her father. Earlier that morning, she'd gotten a call from her father saying that the mission was progressing steadily, and they should be home very soon. Still, she really missed him.

Already too, they'd made a lot of progress with the Disappearo Dust that Carmine and the girls created to rid the clones of their inhibitor chips. Queen Saphira and King Coralos were happy to help when Anakin explained to them what they'd found out about the inhibitor chips, and they got many sirens to agree to help once Carmine taught them the song to sing and how to work the Disappearo Dust once they made some big batches. They had hope that they got rid of enough chips to save the Jedi from this Order 66. Unfortunately, they still hadn't found out who was behind the clone war.

Gabby sighed as she looked up at the moon shining beautifully in the sky.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Lamenta said, coming to sit by her cousin.

Gabby was a bit startled. Her cousin was so quiet sometimes, she could pretty much appear like a ghost. Sometimes, Gabby wondered if that was how she made the grownups feel when she was smaller.

"How long have you been there?" Gabby asked.

"A couple minutes," said Lamenta. "Everyone's having sweet dreams so far. Then, I realized you weren't dreaming because you're awake, and I needed some fresh air."

Lamenta sat close by Gabby as she continued to look at the moon. She turned her eyes toward her cousin and said, "You miss your daddy?"

Gabby silently nodded.

"I know how you feel." Lamenta said. "Remember when my parents left for a month on tour?"

"Yes."

"Well, that was the first time I'd ever stayed anywhere for more than a few days, and without either of my parents." Lamenta said. "I was a train wreck."

Lamenta remembered it like it was yesterday.

Two months ago...

Before her parents left, Lamenta hugged them and cried, not wanting to let go.

"I know, Lamenta." Caroline said. "We'll miss you so much."

"Don't worry, Little Lamb." Carmine said. "Mommy and Daddy will be back before you know it. And your grandfather, uncle, and aunt will be here to take good care of you."

"I don't want you to go," cried Lamenta. "Take me with you like you always do."

"We know this is a big change, Sweetie." Caroline said, caressing her daughter's cheek. "But you need to be strong. This is your chance for a normal life. You're only going to be a child once, and you should spend it playing with other kids and having fun, not hiding backstage and waking up in different time zones every week, never staying long enough to make real friends."