ω α ι т ι η g

The thumping of a gum splattered foot on driftwood tiles. Rhythmed alongside the peaceful ocean waves played throughout the Saltwater Docks. A rhythm of peace that was all too familiar to him. Gumball sighed as he stare off into the traveling sea. Rushing waves gently splash against the peer that held cargo ships together. The sea always seemed to take. Only take away and never give back. Guide things away to cruel disappearances.

He thought back to himself, teary eyed and sobbing. Never taking his eyes off the departing ship.

~

"D-d-don't go! PLEASE there's- T-there's so much more you can still teach me!" He clung to them like a life preserver in the dark unforgiving sea, never daring to let go.

The departing cookie looked to the younger with sympathy. As well as an emotion even in the present, Gumball found completely unreadable. The cookie had scooped him up into their arms. Embracing the young artist as tightly as they did the first time they found each other.

"I know. And there's so much I want to teach you still. But I've done all I can. Now it's up to you to teach yourself further."

The future sailor soothed the child in their ownership best they could. Attempting not to tear up at the reality of departion themselves. Someone had to be strong in this family. Someone had to be a good example. In a small attempt to relax the grieving boy, they placed him gently on the dock flooring. Then took a small red gumball out of their head, proceeded to hand it to the young cookie.

"Here. I-I know it isn't much but keep this until I'm able to come back home. In fact, whenever you see red gumballs you can think of me, alright? It'll help you remember me and-"

The sailor had paused to cover up a sniffle.

"...-And remind you that I'm not too far away, ok? And I will always come back home. Hey to remember you, I'll always think of you whenever I do my sketches. I'll use blue and yellow. Like you always did in your own art."

Gumball held the round red piece of sugar close to his chest. Sniffling as tears escaped his golden candy eyes. The sailor frowned, beginning to rub the child's helmet with determined eyes.

"Make me a promise kid. No matter what happens, never stop doing the things you love. No matter how many cookies hold you back, just keep your head up. Keep your head up above water and keep swimming. No matter how strong the current gets, just like I taught you in the ocean, keep swimming to glory. And before you know it, you'll be so happy with yourself!"

The cookie proceeds to place a gentle hand on Gumball's shoulder.

"And you'll make me so proud."

The young artist whimpered, iced lips quivering as he embraced the older cookie one last time.

"W-what if I try my best and- m-my best isn't good enough?"

The grasp on his shoulder tightened a little.

"It'll always be good enough for me."

Another pause between drifting.

B-b-but you'll always c-c-come b-back... r-right?"

Waves and the calls of ship bells were the only sounds around them for what felt like a possible minute. Then Gumball got his answer.

"I promise."

"Hey CandyBall Cookie, are you ready yet? The ship is departing!"

CandyBall felt the grip on their shoulders tighten, as the young cookie clung to them like a barnacle to a whale. They sighed before gently prying the young one free. "We all need to follow our dreams, Gumball Cookie. And it's my time to follow mine. I promise as long as you remember, I won't seem as far away as it seems." The cookie clutched their sketchbook of marine biology gently to their chest. "And I won't forget you either."

The final ship had sung its last toll. The young artist kept eye on the departing fleet until it could be seen no longer.

~

And now came the unspoken routine. It was never meant to become that way, but the behavior just kept repeating. The first week, the first month, the first year, and so on forward. At early evening he would sit himself at the docks, staring out towards the ocean like it had anything to give. Being an audience member to it's beautiful song before allowing himself to rest.

Always taught those little things.

He'd always have a red gumball in his custody, chewing it as he watched the sun set. This was one of the only things he could be patient for. A relaxed motion he could tolerate. He'd watch the waves till his eyes surrendered in exhaustion. Ending the night by traveling back home, renewing his hopes for the next day. It surprised him no one asked about it. None ever followed him. Nor did any dare to ask about his whereabouts. The routine was unknown by others, and he was content with this transpire.

Gumball was content with waiting.

He was content with waiting until they finally fulfilled their promise.

No matter how many years it would take.