10

"I really, really hope our trip worked." Lionpaw whispered to you for the 50th time.

"Shut up!" you shoved him, making him stagger.

The battle patrol was still trekking through the forest. You could see the edge of ThunderClan territory.

"Group one, scout." Firestar stopped and nodded.

The first group spread out and crept into bushes and ferns to scout around.

"We can't get spotted." Firestar whispered.

Honeypaw suddenly came running.

"RiverClan patrol, coming this way!"

"We're on our side of the border." Brambelclaw said calmly.

"But the whole of ThunderClan on a border patrol? It'll be sus!" Squirrelflight said. Your eyes gazed upon the trees.

"Climb a tree and hide!" Firestar shot up an oak. The cats of ThunderClan scrambled up oaks and pine trees. You dug your claws in a pine tree and pulled yourself up. You got onto a lower branch, which was covered in pine needles. They prickled your fur as you crouched there. You heard the small breathing of Cinderpaw and Birchfall nearby.

Two RiverClan cats were walking and sniffing at the border. You recognized them as Reedwhisker and Willowpaw.

You watched them shuffle around the ferns and trees.

You heard Birchfall shift slightly. The RiverClan cats didn't take suspicion and left.

"Where are the others?" Firestar asked Honeypaw.

"They're hiding and waiting for the second group." Honeypaw replied.

"Good. Group two, advance." Firestar said. "Do it slowly."

You padded forward and walked beside Brambleclaw. 

You saw the river after a few moments of walking. 

"The river's frozen solid." Brambleclaw remarked.

You watched the ice for a moment. What if it breaks?

"I'll go first." Berrypaw said. Brambleclaw nodded at his apprentice.

Berrypaw pressed a paw on the ice. He slid on the ice and unsheathed his claws.

"It's pretty thick!" Berrypaw ran more faster across.

Brambleclaw got on. The ice held his weight.

You unsheathed your claws and got on the ice. The cold numbed your paws as you started to walk slowly. You could imagine the sensation of drowning when the ice breaks.

Brambleclaw jumped on land. You felt your tail straighten out.

But as you took the last step, the ice broke. You already knew the ice near land was the thinnest, but it held Brambleclaw's weight.

Freezing water carried you under water, numbing your fur and filling up your mouth and nose.

Brambleclaw's teeth got into your scruff and pulled you up.

You felt your teeth chattering as a breeze went by. You shook out your pelt, splattering Brambleclaw and Berrypaw. Your fur felt heavy and your paws were numb with cold.

"Be more careful." Brambleclaw said. Mousepaw jumped on the shore.

Be more careful than being more than really careful?

"Hurry!" Brambleclaw beckoned with his tail.

You saw RiverClan camp. Fear and excitement fluttered in your chest. Your insides were warm when your fur was cold.