Chapter 1, cutting to the chase

(Yes, cutting to the chase. Just starting immediately.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"See you later?" I smiled at Steve, tears welling in my eyes. He nodded before kissing me goodbye. I wrapped my arms around his neck as my eyes stung while the tears had slowly ran down my face. We both pulled away and embraced each other in a hug before my mom honked the car horn. "Stay out of trouble." Steve yelled towards me as I walked to my mom's car. "I'll try, but no promises." I yelled back, closing my door after.

This was the start to a new life.

---------------------

Av- Hey guys! Some background information before this chapter continues, Y/n is part of the Byers family. They are moving with them to California and they have to leave Steve behind. (Steve and Y/n are together teehee.) yes, this is an argyle x reader, just trust the process.

anyways, on with the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-and missive time skip because writers block is a pain in the arse.-

It's been three months since Jonathan, Will, El and I had started school in California. It was Saturday morning, and I was eating waffles. The phone rang and Jonathan had just woken up, so he answered the phone. "Byers' household. Oh, (Y/n) it's for you." Jonathan reached his hand out, handing me the phone. I grabbed it from him and put down my waffle. 

"Hello?"

"(Y/n), hey."

"Steve! Hi! I miss you so much."

"Yeah, I miss you too. I need to talk to you about something though."

"O-oh." I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. We've been steady for almost three years.

"Y/n... I'm sorry, but we can't see each other anymore."

Well, I guess I was wrong. "Oh... It's okay. You probably have your reasons. Um... I'll see you during break though, right?" My voice shaking as I spoke, my eyes beginning to sting. 

"We'll see. Talk to you later."

I hung up the phone before slamming my back against the wall as the tears that had welled in my eyes began to race down my cheeks. 

-just a little intermission for Monday-

I walked over to Jonathan's room and knocked on his door. He had coughed, smoke erupting from the bottom of his door. "Jonathan, it's just me." I spoke, nonchalantly. I heard a small 'Oh' from the other side of the door before the doorknob turned and the door opened. "I need to tell you something..." I walked into his room, sitting down on his bed.

"You're not pregnant, are you? That would cause too much trouble, and I'm not ready to be an uncle. I'm not even ready for being a babysitter. I can't-" Jonathan began to ramble.

"Jonathan!" I yelled at him. "I'm not pregnant. I was going to say that I like a stoner. I wanted to get your advice on how to deal with that shit because I haven't been able to get over what happened with Steve and I for quite a while and I think it's finally time I move on, and I just so happened to like your only friend." I looked at Jonathan in the eyes. 

"You what? Wait... The only stoner friend I have is Argyle. HOLY SHIT (Y/N)." He yelled loudly. 

"Yeah, yeah I know. Being around him all the time because he's also my only friend just sort of made it all work. I don't know how to go about this though." I looked at the ceiling before falling back onto his bed.

"(Y/n), what the crap. Out of EVERYONE-" I cut him off. "Jonathan! I know what you're thinking. I know it's dumb, but I can't help it. If I could, I'd change my mind for your sake, but that's not something I can do." He sighed and looked out the window.