Chapter Two

|| CHAPTER TWO ||

After the meeting that determined 'our fate', I return back to my own room to get rid of an aching headache.

Someone knocks on my door and I mumble, "Who is it?" Caleb's head pokes through the little opening of the door and walks in without my permission.

I stand up with an alerted expression. "What do you want?" I ask dryly, giving him a cautious eye. He rolls his eyes and shuts the door open.

"I'm here to talk about Tris," He says sitting down on the edge of the bed. "Listen I am her older brother and if you hurt her in any way-"

I threw a pillow at Caleb to shut him up. "Blah blah blah don't hurt her or else I kill you," I mock him and cross my arms. "Do you think I'm that low to hurting Tris?"

Caleb gulps and looks uncertain. "Uh I guess not?" He glances around the room then lands on my eyes. "How did you and Tris meet anyways?"

I lean back on the bed and shrug. "I started to develop feelings for her in a knife throwing practice," I answer I didn't even bother to lie.

Caleb quirks up with excitement. "Knife throwing? Can you teach me?"

Figuring I had nothing better to do I gave in and snatch the butter knife. Five minutes later Caleb struggled with throwing the knife. "No, not like that," I say through laughter.

"What do you mean, 'not like that'? I imitated you perfectly." Caleb wrinkles his nose and tries to throw it again but it hits the wall with a loud thud.

"See you did not."

"Well, do it again then." I sigh and bend down to pick up the knife. I sit on the floor with one leg stretched out and hurled the butter knife at the opposite wall. It sticks, handle out, from a large hunk of cheese I positioned on top of the dresser. I smirk and turn to look at Caleb who's standing beside me staring at disbelief. His eyes trails over to the door and then lands on Tris.

"Tell me he's some kind of Dauntless prodigy," says Caleb. "Can you do this too?"

"With my right hand, maybe," Tris's says as she smiles at me. "But yes, Four is some kind of Dauntless prodigy. Can I ask why you're throwing knives at cheese?"

My eye catch hers on the word "Four."

"Caleb came by to discuss something," I say, leaning my head against the wall as I look at her. "And knife-throwing just came up somehow."

"As it so often does," Tris says, a small smile inching its way across her beautiful face. I relaxed with my head back, my arm slung over my knee. We stare at each other for a few more seconds than is socially acceptable. Caleb clears his throat.

"Anyways, I should be getting back to my room," Caleb says, looking from Tris to me and back again. "I'm reading this book about the water-filtration systems. The kid who gave it to me looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to read it. I think it's supposed to be a repair manual, but it's fascinating." He pauses. "Sorry. You probably think I'm crazy too."

Yeah you're a nuthead. "Not at all," I say with mock sincerity. "Maybe you should read that repair manual too, Tris. It sounds like something you might like."

"I can loan it to you." Caleb says.

"Maybe later," Tris says. When Caleb closes the door behind him, Tris gave me a dirty look.

"Thanks for that," she says. "Now he's going to talk my ear off about water filtration and how it works. Though I guess I might prefer that to what he wants to talk to me about.

"Oh? And what's that?" I quirk my eyebrows. "Aquaponics?"

"Aqua-what?"

"It's one of the ways they grow food here. You don't any to know."

"Yeah you're right, I don't," Tris says. "What did he come to talk to you about?"

"You," I reply. "I think it was the big-brother talk. 'Don't mess around with my sister' and all that."

I get up.

"What did you tell him?"

I come toward her.

"I told him how we got together- that's how knife-throwing came up," I say, "and I told him I wasn't messing around."

I wrap my hands around her hips and press her gently against the door. My lips found hers. Tris wraps her arm around me, pulling me against her. Her fingers find the hem of my t-shirt, and slide beneath it, spreading wide over the small of my back.

I kiss her again, more insistent this time, my hands squeezing her waist. I pull back, just a few centimeters.

"This isn't what you came here for," I say.

"No."

"What did you come for, then?"

"Who cares?"

Tris pushes her fingers through my hair, and draws my mouth to hers again. I couldn't resist her, but after a few seconds, I mumble, "Tris," against her soft cheek.

"Okay, okay." She closes her eyes.

We sit side by side on my bed, and Tris starts talking. She tells me how she followed Marcus and Johanna into the orchard. She tells me Johanna's question about the timing of the simulation attack, and Marcus's response, and the argument that followed. I didn't show any emotion, I wasn't shocked or curious, but instead my mouth works its way into the bitter pucker when the name of Marcus shows up.

"Well, why do you think?" Tris says once she finishes.

"I think," I say carefully, "that it's Marcus trying to feel more important than he is."

"So. . . what? You think he's just talking nonsense?"

"I think there probably is some information the Abnegation knew that Jeanine wanted to know, but I think he's exaggerating it's importance. Trying to build up his old ego by making Johanna think he's got something she wants and he won't give it to her."

"I don't. . ." Tris frowns. "I don't think you're right. He didn't sound like e was lying."

"You don't know him like I do. He is an excellent liar."

"Maybe you're right," she says, "but shouldn't we find out what's going on? Just to be sure?"

"I think it's more important that we deal with the situation at hand," says Tobias. "Go back to the city. Find out what's going on there. Find a way to take Erudite down. then maybe we could find out what Marcus was talking about, after this is all resolved. Okay?"

Tris nods. It was a smart plan, I hope Tris will believe in me. I stick to my words, and I stick to my plans. It's difficult for a person to persuade me to do something I don't want to.

Tris agreed, so hopefully she changed her mind.

***********************************
END OF CHAPTER 2

Remember to vote and comment for me to update faster!