13

Amber's wails filled my ears as I helped pile her into Minnie's car. Marvel jumped into the front car seat, and Minnie behind the steering wheel. I rested Amber's head onto my lap, trying to calm her down. Between Amber's screams and Marvel's chattering, trying to get Luke down to the hospital, I was slowly developing a headache. I lightly pressed my palms to Amber's temples, rubbing slowly and softly, calming her down a little bit.

"Breathe in and out, baby. We're almost there."

"You try breathing in and out when it feels like a watermelon being squeezed out your ass, Clifford."

I chuckled, she still had her sense of humour, even while she was in pain. "But doesn't a baby come out of your-?"

"Yeah, but you don't have a vagina, so you wouldn't know... and just shut up." She seethed, her grip on my hand becoming tighter with each sentence. She looked absolutely horrid, and I was in pain knowing I couldn't help her feel any better. I gave a slight smile at her clenched jaw, placing a light kiss on her nose. I let her hold my hands, telling her to squeeze as hard as she wanted. For her size, you wouldn't assume she's all the strong, but when we made it to the hospital and I had to let go of her hands, mine felt numb.

Minnie and Marvel scrambled out of the car, both rushing to the passenger door that was closest to Amber. Marvel lifted her body the best she could, letting me slide part of her body from my lap. I bolted inside the hospital, asking a few nurse by the maternity ward to come and help. The crowd I told scrambled to the parking lot, one pushing a gurney. The trail of 4 or 5 nurses followed me, keeping up with my pace to Minnie's light blue Subaru Forester. They made a group effort lifting her onto the gurney, bursting through the parking lot, and taking her to the emergency room. The three of us scrambled indoors after taking a few minutes grabbing our stuff, stopping at the reception desk.

"Um, hello?" Marvel spoke up, making the nurse roll her eyes and turn her attention to us. Minnie scoffed. "Our friend Amber Hemmings just went into the to delivery room, can you tell us what room she's placed in?"

"Yeah, I guess." The male nurse rolled his eyes, quickly typing something into his desktop. "She's in delivery room C201. Right now, she's waiting to go into labour. You guys can go talk to her now, because once her pressure builds up and she's completely ready for that baby, you may not see her for at least a full day." I said a quick thank you and lead the girls to the elevator.

"A full day?" I spoke as the elevator jolted from under us, finally stopping on the second floor. "Why would it even take that long? She'll be okay, right?"

"I think she will be, she's a very tough girl, Clifford." Minnie gave a small, uncertain smile, lightly hitting my arm. I returned the smile, us walking up to the room. A nurse gave a small smile to us, but then a quick warning.

"So she is about to give birth, but you all can come and say hello to her, because she's just going to have very painful contractions for the next hour or so. If you guys see blood on her gown or the blankets, come and get us immediately. One more thing, please don't let her move a ton. Ms. Hemmings can shift her body if she needs to, but she must stay in her current position." The nurse sent a sweet smile to us, letting us into the room.

Amber was dressed into a light pink hospital gown, and her hair was tied into a bun upon the top of her head. "Hey guys," She flinched and let out a small squeal. "Where's Luke?"

"I'll go call him again." Marvel jumped out of her seat and left the room, causing Amber to let out a pained chuckle.

"Please, promise me you guys that she's going to marry Luke someday. I think they'd be cute."

"Amber, did you want me to go get you anything from the cafeteria? Like a water?" Minnie piped up.

"Crushed ice please?" Minnie nodded, leaving the two of us alone.

"Amber I have something I need to tell you." I looked up from staring at my beat up black converse.

"Michael, I have something I have to tell you too."

We went back and forth saying you first until I was finally forced to speak. "Okay, so when you and the girls set up the cheesy little scavenger hunt, something clicked. No, let me correct that, EVERYTHING clicked. I remember everything now, A. I remember all of our dumb little dates, Luke isn't actually named Lucifer," Amber chuckled at that one. "And how we met and everything we've been through. But that's not the point. The point is, I remembered how much I loved you. And the fact that I got to re-experience falling in love with my significant other, is something only people wish for. I've fallen in love with you over again, and I'm certain that it's a sign. I need to do this now." I lowered myself off the chair, and onto one knee. "Will you Amber LeeAnn Hemmings, do me that gracious honour of marrying me? I know we might be too young, but I'm willing to wait. For you, I can wait." Amber's gorgeous brown eyes were pricked with tears, her quickly wiping them away. "I'd just be happy if I could call you my fiancee instead of girlfriend." I gave a slight smile at the end of my speech."Of course Michael!" She smiled brightly and leaned to give me a hug, me meeting her halfway so she wouldn't strain her body and cause herself to go into labour right then and there.

"Sorry I don't have a ring, but I mean I obviously couldn't wait." She kissed me softly on the lips. "Now what did you want to tell me?" I waited, anxiously.

Her face fell. "I wanted to just tell you something but it'd sound very lame compared to what happened." She gave a weak laugh.

"I don't care, nothing you can say is lame anyways." I giggled, both of us knowing what I said wasn't true whatsoever. Marvel burst into the room at that very moment, saying Luke and Calum were almost here.

"You haven't had a pain in a few minutes." I mentioned, causing Amber to whip her head in my direction.

"Don't..." She let out a loud scream and gripped the bedsheets for dear life. "Jinx it..." She sighed, blowing a stray of her coffee coloured hair out of her matching eyes. She flinched, screaming very loud just as Minnie walked in the room. Marvel's eyes widened at Amber and I asked her what was the matter, making her point to the hospital gown A was wearing. There were dark red blotches all over the lower half of it. I scrambled to my feet and grabbed a nurse, letting her know what was happening. She cleared the room and a male nurse accompanied her to the actual room she was giving birth in.

As we all sat in the waiting room, Marvel mumbled, "And now... We wait."