FOURTEEN

a/n: I'm back! Hi... hello

***

Thanks

June doesn't know if Christian's response is mere sarcasm or genuine appreciation. Either way, she finds it difficult to stop glancing over at him in English.

Mrs Nilsson has taken it upon herself to form groups and pairings - a decision in which many teachers would allow the students to take full accountability. Though from June's understanding Mrs Nilsson found it was impossible to get the students to pay attention for longer than five minutes on a task that should have total concentration.

June feels content with the group she's assigned to today. While she isn't paired with Christian, she isn't with Maeve either, sick at home with a runny nose.

She has no self-control with her gaze. At least with Maeve, her focus can remain somewhat in control. Instead, June is surrounded by peers she doesn't associate with, and a Nilsson twin who she can't stop staring at.

For the most part, June doesn't tease Christian at all. She's refrained from making comments about his lack of participation, or sneaking in chats with his mates beside him. His blazer is hanging on his chair, and he's been grinning all throughout class...

His patronizing note is tucked in her pocket.

She has no idea what Mrs Nilsson is talking about - more symbolisms and metaphors - but she's taking down notes regardless. From the corner of her eye, Christian sinks into his chair and rolls his neck.

He stops at her.

Before she can do anything, perhaps smile in his direction, he turns his attention back to the front.

In groups, she attempts to contribute, but the only thing she can do is point out obviously known facts stated in the text. English has always been a sore spot for June. Perhaps she has taken more of her dad's traits than she originally thought. His math abilities have surely passed down to June in a way the logic of languages hasn't with her mum.

And speaking of parents...

Mrs Nilsson walks to different groups but stops at Christian's for a lot longer. June's under the impression that the school wouldn't allow parents of students - especially parents who are teachers - to get in the way of the professional attire they set out to achieve. Mrs Nilsson doesn't take on favourites, as she's demonstrated multiple times on multiple occasions with Christian. It's refreshing to know the length of Christan's popularity stops at his mother.

"Okay everyone," Mrs Nilsson announces with the clapping of her hands. "Please assign one person from each group to present two findings within the text. I don't want to hear repeated answers."

June lets out a sigh of relief when someone from their group immediately directs the responsibility to themselves. She doesn't remember their name until Mrs Nilsson calls on them.

The attention of the class is on them. Christian, too.

But it's on her.

She can't help the shiver that takes her whole. What is his problem?

He smiles.

It's gone in a split second.

The confusing part is that she smiles back.

Everyone's focus is on the table behind them, and June faces the other direction immediately. Still, the back of her neck hair remains standing.

The following group is next. Christian stands up.