Chapter 2: Unwanted

I woke up and looked over to my left, where I had laid Serenade to go to sleep last night. I put pillows around her so she wouldn't fall off. She was still asleep, her hands resting on the pillow, above her head. I lightly brushed my fingers against her cheek, feeling her smooth, baby skin. Her bright blue eyes opened and she looked at me. I got up and went around to pick her up.

"Hey, baby girl." I said to her. She rubbed her eyes, there were marks on her cheek from the pillow. It was so cute.

"Want some breakfast?"

I lightly bounced with her in my arms and held onto her little hand. I headed to the kitchen and grabbed a bowl for me and grabbed some baby food for her. I didn't get the gross stuff that's meat flavored or something, banana tasted much better.

I poured myself some cornflakes and put some milk in it, still holding her. Once I grabbed a couple of spoons, I sat down and sat her on my lap and fed her, while I ate mine in between giving her little spoonfuls.

I sighed and bounded her on my knee a bit. I didn't know what was going to happen to her. Her mom and dad are gone now. Where will she go? I was going to go to her grandma's house to figure that out.

I looked up at the clock and stood up, putting the dishes in the sink and the baby food back in the fridge.

I went to my room and quickly changed, leaving her on the bed, and even though she is a baby, I changed in the bathroom with the door open, but she couldn't really see me. I dressed her in the extra pair of clothes that her mom packed for her, a cute little dress and tights.

I picked her up and headed to the door, to go to her grandma's. She began to cry and I bounced her up and down a bit then sighed, rubbing her little back.

"I'm sorry, Sara." I said to her. "I know you miss mommy and daddy."

I locked the door behind me and went to my car, buckling her in, making sure her seat was stable, then buckling myself in, and revving up the engine. I couldn't bare the thought of getting into and accident and Serenade getting hurt. I drove carefully, making sure that I didn't get into an accident like parents did.

********

I knocked on the door and within a few moments, a woman with white hair answered it. I could tell she had been crying, and she was holding a tissue in her hand, sniffling.

"Hello, Patrick." She said, gesturing for me to come in.

She shut the door and I patted Sara's back.

Sara's grandma sat at the table with her aunt and uncle.

They all greeted me and I sat down at the table with everyone.

"So, what are we going to do with Serenade?" Sara's grandma said.

"I dunno." Her husband replied.

"We can't take her." Her aunt added. "We don't have enough time to take care of her, we both have full time jobs."

Her grandma and grandma nodded. "We can't either." She sighed. "I never wanted them to have the kid anyway."

My eyes widened. They didn't want them to have her? They didn't want her to be born, they didn't want her. She was unwanted by them.

We all sat in silence for a moment. I didn't really know them very well, it was kind of awkward.

She let out a sigh. "What about adoption?"

My eyes widened. "What—"

"I can't think of anything else." Her uncle added.

I looked between them in disbelief. "No... You - you can't—"

"I think that'd be a good idea." Her aunt interrupted me with.

They all continued to discuss it, they both seemed to think it was an excellent idea. Sending her to a home with a bunch of unfamiliar people, where she would grow up, lonely, waiting for someone who could love her. No. I won't let her go through that.

"I'll take her." I said, quietly, not making eye contact with them, looking straight ahead, Sara in my arms.

"What?" Her uncle asked.

"I'll take her." I said louder. "I'll take care of her."

"Patrick—" His wife said.

"No! I'm not going to let you do that to her!" I shouted. "I'll take care of her."

The room fell silent and everyone just looked at me. After five minutes of silence, her grandma sighed and waved her hand slightly. "Fine."

I stood up. "I need the keys to their house. I need to get her things."