Buried Enemy

"Sofia?"

There was a wildness in her eyes. A mixture of fear, confusion, and anger.

"Sofia!"

It was like she couldn't even hear my voice as she struggled against Yakov's grip, clawing at his arm. It had been so long since I'd last seen her. So much had happened since then, so much had changed. I had changed. For all I knew, we were enemies now. For all I knew, she was a threat to us.

I didn't care. "Let her go, Yakov."

He only scowled at me and tightened his grip around her throat, his gun dangerously close to her eye.

"Yakov, listen to me. Let her go."

"You know this soldier? This spy?"

"Yes. She's... she's my friend."

Yakov's lip curled in disgust and, for a moment, I thought he was going to shoot her then and there. But he relented, pushing her forcibly to the forest floor, keeping his weapon trained on her as she huddled on the ground in front of him, gasping for breath. He took a step back and looked at me, jerking his head as if to say, Well, what are you waiting for?

I rushed forward and fell to the ground at her side. "Sofia? Are you hurt?"

With a savage cry, she launched herself at me, pushing me down into the dirt, striking any part of me she could. I shielded my face with my arms, enduring the blows, refusing to fight back. Finally, she relented, stopped, and I lowered my arms to see her dirt-smeared face staring down at me, her features contorted with rage.

There were voices, but I could barely hear what they were saying over the blood pounding in my ears.

"No, no," Yakov's voice came from close by. "Let's just wait. I want to see what happens." I could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

"Sofia, please," I begged.

Her breath was coming out in short sharp gasps, her fist raised menacingly above her head. There was a haggardness to her features, a weariness in her eyes. Just how long had she been out here? Where were the rest of our soldiers?

"Please, Sofia. I know you're angry. You have every right to be. I know what it looks like but please... Just give me a chance to explain."

Trying not to make any sudden movements, I slowly eased myself out from under her and sat up. Her eyes followed me, but she made no other move. Made no sound.

"Sofia, please," I tried again.

This time, it worked. She lowered her fist and sat back on her heels.

"Explain yourself, officer." I winced at her formality. "Why did you sabotage the mission? Why are you with these people? Why did you... Why did you kill Elaine?"

Difficult questions with no easy answers. But at least she was talking to me now, so that was a start. I was aware of my squad's eyes on us, their ears listening to every word we said.

"Can we... go somewhere private?" I asked. The question was as much to them as it was to Sofia.

The others consented, staying in the clearing as Sofia and I made our way deeper into the forest. At last, we stopped in front of a fallen tree. Grabbing me by the shoulders, she pushed me down onto it and stood in front of me, arms akimbo. "This is far enough. Explain yourself."

And so I did. It was like being in the interrogation room all over again. As I once again poured out my confessions, Sofia remained completely silent, her expression inscrutable, until I started to speak about the attack on the camp. About Elaine. About the shot I had fired. That shot that had changed everything.