𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

♫ ♫ ♫
𝐀𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐞𝐚 𝐑𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐨

Today is June 12th, 1997.

When I was seven years old, I met my best friend.

Greyson Allori.

Now we're sixteen. Our lives have changed. We're not kids anymore. Greyson was never a kid. He had the burden of his family weighing him down since he was ten. His mother got sick, and his father was abusive. Verbally and physically. His family relied on him. He had to work to afford their house and his mother's medical bills. Some days he wouldn't show up to school because he needed to work extra shifts to pay the electric bill.

Last year he confessed to me that he started taking drugs. It began with a small habit that turned into an addiction. In the past month, I've helped him get clean. I promised him that I'd be here throughout it all. He needs me, and I need him. I stood by his side when he broke down in the bathroom at night. I watched tears pour from his eyes as his words became muffled. He leaned his head on me and told me, "It hurts, Rea. I want it to stop, even just for one day." The pain in his voice made my heart break. I kept my arm around him as his head was on my lap. Tears pooled on my jeans. I whispered to him, "It's going to be alright. I'm here for you always." I combed my fingers through his hair. I watched as his body went numb.

His following words that night shot a bullet through my chest, "I love you, Rea. I don't know how much fight my body has left." I glanced at him. I caressed the palm of my hand against his cheek. I reassured him, "I love you, Greyson. You're not fighting this alone. You have me, and I would take your pain away in an instant if I could."

Tears fell down my cheek at the thought of losing my best friend. His thoughts left fear creeping up my spine. It's been a couple of weeks since that night, but I couldn't erase that thought from my mind. It invaded my thoughts. I spent all my days with Greyson. I changed my shift at my job to spend more time with him.

My brother invited Greyson and me to Milan. The hotel is extraordinary. The view out the window is breathtaking. The sky had ombre colors painted across it. I felt Greyson's arms wrap around my waist. I turned toward him. The proximity between us broke. Our bodies were inches apart. Grey took a deep breath. He brushed my hair out of my face. He confessed, "I wrote a song dedicated to my heart and soul. Astraea Alesiah Russo." I felt my heart flutter inside my chest. His voice is beautiful. I felt tears build in my eyes. He walked across the island counter and grabbed his guitar. His talent is endless. His voice is angelic, and his musician skills are impeccable. He can play any instrument put in front of him.

Once he began singing, I felt my heart melt. His voice could easily win me over. His lyrics are words of poetry. I've told him he should begin making music the world could hear, but he's shy. His biggest fear is performing in front of a large crowd. He does adore performing for me. I'm his biggest supporter.

I felt my pain dissolve in your arms.

Every word that escaped his lips made goosebumps run up my arm. His fingers brushed against the strings on the guitar. Roman stood next to Grey. He had a smirk plastered across his face. Greyson's eyes shot at mine. His green emerald eyes were mesmerizing. He tilted his head down, locking his eyes with mine. I tried to fight back the tears buried in my eyes.

You brought me back to life when I was suffocating in this cruel world.

I wanted it all to end.

You breathed oxygen into my lungs.

Each night I'd stare at the stars. None of them compared to your beauty that shines brighter than every star in the sky.

When he finished the last verse, Greyson took a deep breath before asking, "Astraea Russo, will you be my girlfriend?" I felt my world shift. Everything inside me turned into butterflies. I stormed around the island counter. I wrapped my arms around him quickly. I replied, "Yes." My lips clashed against his in seconds. His arms wrapped around my waist.

I released my lips from his and glanced at my brother in the corner of the room. His eyes locked on Greyson and me. I blurted out, "Let me guess, you already knew." He quickly nodded and responded, "He told me a while ago. He asked for my permission, but he's probably the only guy I'd trust with you."

Tears filled my eyes. Greyson wiped the tears from under my eyes and asked, "Why are you crying, love?" I locked my eyes with his and answered, "These are happy tears. You asked me to be your girlfriend. You've been my whole heart and soul throughout these years. I love you, Grey."

He wrapped his arms around me and leaned his head on my shoulder. He whispered, "I'll always love you, Rea." Greyson lifted his head from my shoulder and placed a kiss on my cheek.

His touch. His feeling. I savored everything about him.

♫ ♫ ♫

Hey everyone! Welcome to Unread Messages. If you haven't read the author's note please do. This book contains strong topics.

Unread Messages will have a sad ending, but it is one of my favorite books that I've written in a while. I've cried many times while writing this book. I will be posting a double update for each chapter. This will include the Messages Greyson wrote for Astraea.

If you have any questions about this book or the series let me know.

My socials:

tiktok: authorjules

I love you all and have a great day/night. <3