Chapter 4 (3/3)

P.O.V. Ponyboy

We climbed up the road to the church, although it was a lot farther away than it looked. The road got steeper with every step. I was feeling kind of drunk — I always do when I get too sleepy — and my legs got heavier and heavier. I guess Johnny was sleepier than (M/n) and I were — he had stayed awake on the train to make sure we all got off the train at the right place. It took us about forty-five minutes to get there. We climbed in a back window. It was a small church, real old and spooky and spiderwebby. It gave me the creeps.

I'd been in church before. I used to go all the time, even after mom and dad were gone. Then one Sunday I talked Soda into coming with Johnny and me. He didn't want to come unless Steve and (M/n) did, and Two-Bit decided he might as well come too. Dally was sleeping off a hangover, Darry was working. When Johnny and I went, we sat in the back, trying to get something out of the sermon and avoid the people, because we weren't dressed so sharp most of the time. Nobody seemed to mind, and Johnny and I really liked to go. But that day . . . well, Soda can't sit still long enough to enjoy a movie, much less a sermon. (M/n) was in the very back with Johnny and I, one leg shaking and picking at this fingers, Johnny kept quietly telling him to stop and holding one of his hands.

It wasn't long before Soda and Steve and Two-Bit were throwing paper wads at each other and clowning around, and finally Steve dropped a hymn book with a bang — accidentally, of course. Everyone in the place turned around to look at us, and Johnny, (M/n), and I nearly crawled under the pews. And then Two-Bit waved at them.

I hadn't been to church since.

But this church gave me a kind of creepy feeling. What do you call it? Premonition? I flopped down on the floor — and immediately decided not to do any more flopping. That floor was stone, and hard. Johnny stretched out beside me, resting he head on his arm. (M/n) was laying down on the floor curled up, legs almost touching his stomach. He was laying on one of his arms too. I started to say something to them, but I went to sleep before I could get the words out of my mouth. But Johnny and (M/n) didn't notice. They were asleep, too.

——————————
438 words

꧁☾ℍ𝕖𝕪 𝕡𝕖𝕠𝕡𝕝𝕖, 𝕀 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕀 𝕞𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕡𝕠𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕠𝕝𝕚𝕕𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕒𝕝𝕤𝕠, 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕀 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨. 𝔸𝕟𝕪𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕡𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜𝕤𝕘𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕘, 𝕀 𝕙𝕠𝕡𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕒 𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜𝕤𝕘𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕘/𝕕𝕒𝕪. 𝔹𝕪𝕖 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕒 𝕟𝕚𝕔𝕖 𝕕𝕒𝕪/𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥.☽꧂