Chapter Forty-Three

The entire palace scrambled, the Grand Empress Dowager birthday celebration dinner ruined and Her Grace Divine Empress Raina life was in danger. The palace servants are hard at work, trying to sort the matter. After the incident in the Hall, Grand Empress Dowager hurried to her palace, waiting for news about the Empress.

"Your Grace, you need to take your rest."

However, Her Grace remained silent, staring out into the dark. She was biting on her fingernail, and wondered deep into thought. Court Lady Rin sighed under her breath as handmaidens entered with a tray of tea. Her Grace paid no mind as Court Lady Rin placed her tea and ordered the handmaidens out. "Your tea, Your Grace..." Rin said.

Suddenly, Grand Empress Dowager slammed her hand on the table. The teacup shook, but luckily nothing spoiled Her Highness. "That... That bitch planned it all!" She said as Court Lady Rin removed the teacup. "She planned it all... I knew her silence in the sidelines during Divine Empress' pregnancy was odd. Never imagined she could take everything away from me in front of me."

"Please calm down..."

She shook her head 'no', "the cursed Emperor is getting worse day by day. Without the Divine Empress child... Maya would become Empress Dowager."

Court Lady Rin knew Her Grace spoke the truth. The curse on His Grace worsens, and the only spark of hope was in the Divine Empress womb. If anything were to happen to that child, then who knows what Imperial Noble Consort Maya would do as ruler. "You must not worry, the Imperial Doctor is with Her Highness as we speak."

"And don't forget the cursed boy is there too... His presence may worsen everything," she said under her breath, rolling her eyes.

"You speak harshly for His Majesty..."

Silence engulfed the room as Grand Empress Dowager avoided eye contact with Court Lady Rin. Her Grace knew her servant spoke the truth about the Cursed Emperor. However, she can never forget the chaos that boy brought because of his existence. Life in the harem is difficult, especially when one plays with their heart and Grand Empress knew that for a fact. Greed and jealousy are the premier company one could have.

Kai's mother fell victim. Instead of enjoying a royal lifestyle, she embraced the foul feelings and brought dishonour into the royal family. Grand Empress Dowager lost her ability to dance because of the harem, and she lost her son because of the harem. The pain goes deeper than anyone could imagine, and as a public image... She had to stand tall, put a brave face and raise the child, who carries a curse in his blood, to be a ruler.

"Court Lady Rin... Go, check on the Divine Empress, and have fresh tea brought." She said, turning her gaze to the darkest corner. Her mind went back deep into thought, wondering and praying for the probable outcomes of Her Divine Empress.

Court Lady Rin glanced at the untouched teacup, then back at Her Grace and sighed under breath. "As you wish, Your Grace," she said under her breath as she took the teacup. She bowed at Her Grand Highness, stepping backward before turning on her heels.

"Get Her Grand Empress some tea," she said to the handmaidens that stood outside. She hands them the teacup before walking away from the palace. Everyone was on edge, Divine Empress Raina's life and the child were in danger.

While everyone within the palace is trying to calm the situation, within the Divine Empress' palace... Tensions were high. Emperor Kai waited within the guest wing in his Empress' palace. He paced back and forth as his mind raced from one dark thought to another. The Cursed Emperor had not heard a word about Raina, nor the baby's life.

Are they okay? He wondered to himself.

Eunuch Kamin watched His Grace, deep in thought, feeling his anxiety growing each second. Emperor Kai snapped his gaze at Eunuch Kamin and asked, "is there any news?"