Max

I turn the corner into an alley. My feet slapping against the pavement as I run from the police who are getting closer every minute. River falls behind me. I turn to help her but she she yells "GO!". I hope they catch up.

I keep running. My pace slows as I run out of breath. I hear the sirens behind me so I speed up, but I'm to late. The police have already blocked the exit. I turn around to go the other way but the police are there too. I got caught.

Now you may be wondering how I ended up in this situation. It's kinda a long story. l I might as just tell it. It was a normal day in September…

"We should run away." River said, sitting next to me.

"What" I look at her puzzled.

"I'm tired of the same old thing everyday. Nothing interesting ever happens here." They say.

I look skeptical. This is sudden. Why would she randomly want to run away. "I don't know Riv."

River looks at me crazy. "It will be a fresh start. Come on pleaseee."

She attempts at puppy eyes but fails miserably. "Fine, but never do that face again." I say.

"Wasn't planning to." She said getting up from the bench. "Meet me at the bus stop tonight at 10:00. Bring everything you might need. We run away tonight." She says. They look dead serious. Like their eyes are staring into my soul.

As usual I start second guessing myself. Should we really be running away? It's not like we have a bad life here. It's just boring. Knowing River she'll probably change her mind by two days in and we'll be back home. 

As soon as I get home I start packing. Clothes, money, hygiene products, the basics. I pack everything nice and neat into my bookbag.

Night finally arrives. I make my way to my window slowly opening it. It creaks a little. I stop. Listening to see if I woke my parents. After listening and deciding I'm all clear I open the rest of the window. I drop my bookbag first then jump down. Thank god I'm on the first floor. I start walking towards the bus stop.

When I arrive I see River already sitting on the bench there. She notices me walking towards her and motions me onto the bench. I plop down beside her, taking off my bookbag and placing it in front of my shoes.

"I'm surprised you came, " River says. I understand why she thinks that. I always help her with her crazy plans but this is big, but we'll be back in two days anyway.

"Yea, someone has to stop you from doing anything stupid." I reply. That's my job. Keep River out of trouble. She may seem harmless but they could easily kill you. Oh and they don't think before she speaks so anything could come out and get her in trouble.

She fakes being offended but before they could say anything the bus arrives coming to a stop right in front of us. We make our way up and River hands the bus driver tickets she booked beforehand.

We're the only ones here. We make our way to the back, sitting in the very last seat. River pulls out some sort of map. I peek over to look at it. She planned everywhere where we could stay.

"Take your phone and turn off your location off" River says.

I pull out my phone and do so then I pull out my headphones and put them in. I open Spotify and pick my favorite playlist. Heather by Conan Gray comes on and I turn to the window and close my eyes, hoping to fall asleep. 

I wake by River shaking me violently. “I’m up, chill.” I say. I rub my eyes and stretch. I look out the window and see it’s raining. I forgot to pack an umbrella. Maybe this was a bad idea after all. I turn back around and see River already holding an umbrella.

"Where did you get that? " I say confused. I swear she didn't have that when we got on.

"Unlike you I was prepared for this situation" she smirks.

I roll my eyes at her and give her that 'be for real look'.

"Ok ok, I found it under one of the seats" she confesses.

"Why were you looking under the seats?"

"I wasn't!"

"Then how'd you get the umbrella?"

"I have my ways"

"Whatever" I say. I follow River off the bus. She opens the umbrella for us. It's a lot bigger than it looks. River looks at me expectantly. I'm confused.

"What are you looking at me for?" I say. "This was your idea after all"

She shrugs. Is she already having second thoughts? Well that's a new record.

"Where do you wanna go?" They say.

It's my turn to shrug. I have no clue. I look around. I notice a map on the wall of the bus stop. I walk over to it. River follows.

"There's a diner right there" I point out. "We can go to eat there"

"Will it be open this late?" River asks.

"Of course it will dumbass, diners are always open late" I state.

"Right then. We better get walking" River says. And with that we start walking towards the diner.