Chapter Six

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart” ― Helen Keller

    After dinner I went to my room to just lie on my bed and look at the ceiling. I wanted to just have five minutes of a blank mind. I didn’t want to have to think of anything, for just five minutes. No Seamoore, no school, so graduation. Just nothing.

     I closed my eyes and let my body sprawl out on my bed in the shape of an ‘x’. I hadn’t realized how rundown or exhausted my body was. That hike had taken a lot out of me, and I was ready to sleep for a year. My feet had huge angry red blisters on them, and not to mention the cuts I had on the bottom on them from the stones that I had gotten in my shoes. It was safe to say, I wouldn’t want to wear sandals anytime soon.

      Ring! Ring!

    The ringing of my phone broke the bliss of silence. I groaned and rolled over on my bed to reach my phone where it was lying on my nightstand.  If it was Lacey I was going to scream loudly then hang up. I wasn’t in the mood to hear about her latest eye candy she spotted at the mall. She could tell me about it tomorrow or Monday at school when I wasn’t completely exhausted.

     “Hello?” I groaned into the phone.

     “Hey, Celeste?”

     “Yeah, who’s this?” I grumbled, not caring that I was using absolutely no manners.

     “Brice… Don’t tell me your deleted my number already,” he laughed, trying to cover up the nervousness in his voice.

     “Oh, hi,” I said and sat straight up in bed. I had completely forgotten that he was going to call me later. He had probably called and texted a few times while I was out. I instantly felt guilty about not looking at my phone earlier.

    “I’ll take that as a yes…”

     “Yes to what?” I asked, somewhat confused.

     “To you deleting my number,” he laughed again.

     “Oh no! I’m sorry, I didn’t delete your number, I didn’t even bother to look at the caller ID,” I laughed lightly, “so what’s up?”

     “Oh nothing really, just thought I’d give you a call and see how that thing of yours went,” he said, the nervousness fading from his voice.

      “Oh it went good,” I lied.

     “That’s good, where’d you have to go anyways?”

      “Ummm, Seamoore wanted to go on a hike so that’s what we did,” I said sheepishly.

     “Sounds like fun. Did you have fun?”

     “Not really,” I laughed, nervously.

     “Why not? Not the hiking type?” he asked, I could hear a smile in his voice.

     “No, I am, I just didn’t have the right shoes on.”

     “Why didn’t you pack any? Weren’t you planning on doing that all day?”

     “No—Well yes, but I forgot. I was running late and forgot to grab my hiking shoes,” I lied again. The lies were just rolling off of my tongue. I’d never been very good at lying but I guess there’s always exceptions.

     “Next time you shouldn’t forget. I bet it killed your feet,” he sympathized, “I once went for a hike without hiking shoes, and my feet were killing me! I had blisters the size of quarters and then I got gravel in my shoes and had cuts all along the bottoms of my feet. It was seriously the worst thing ever.”