Chapter 3 - Sorrowful Things

Ajinkes POV;

"You are going to cause grey hairs to take over your head if you keep worrying like this. "I say to Adebiyi. The new king, and my husband, as I sit beside him, on our bed, and he sighs.

"What can I do? Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I can't help but be worried. Who wouldn't be worried if they were in my shoes, and went through what happened today? "He replies as he pulls off his crown, and my heart aches for him.

"I just strongly believe that he's my brother... My father's son. "He adds, and I raise a brow.

"My king, didn't you hear what your father said? He said that he doesn't know him or any Omolara. "I say, and Adebiyi scoffs.

"My dear wife, firstly, only call me by titles, when we're in public. You're my wife now, my queen. You call me by my name when we're in private.

And secondly, I did hear what my father said. But you do not know my parents the way that I do. I feel like my mother compelled my father to say that. "He replies, and I begin to blush. But after he says the last words, I give him a look.

"Ah! Why would you say such a thing? Why would she do that? "I can't help but exclaim and question in confusion, and he looks up at me.

"Oh, Ajinke. You're so innocent and naive. Isn't it obvious? "He questions, and I shrug.

"What? "I question, and he rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"She's my mother. She's definitely going to be worried about me and would do anything in her power to protect me from getting hurt. Including... Lying to save me. "He replies, and I fall silent as I let his words sink in.

"I really don't think... "I begin, but am cut off by the sudden wailing of a woman outside. I rush to the window, and my heart falls at the sight I see. In the distance, I can see Muyiwa's mother wailing bitterly over his dead body. And guilt suddenly covers me like a shawl.

"What is it? "Adebiyi questions from behind me, and I swallow. Hard.

"Muyiwa's mother. She... She has just seen his body. "I reply as I turn to look at him, and his jaw drops.

"His body is just arriving? "He questions and I lift my shoulders up and drop them back down in uncertainty.

"I guess so. It seems King Jagunmolu's men just brought it. "I reply. Feeling awkward about the fact that I just called him an 'it' instead of his name.

"Let's go down. "Adebiyi then says, and my heart skips a beat.

"No... I... I don't think I can't be there. I... Guilt... "I begin, but he cuts me off as he walks up to me and places his hands on my shoulders. He lifts my face with his thumb and index finger, and I look up at him. Unsure and scared.

"You did nothing, Ajinke. Whatever happened to Muyiwa is not your fault. He caused and orchestrated his downfall. Only he is responsible for his death, and the way he died. He is the reason his mother is so distressed currently, and he is the reason his younger sister has lost the two men closest to her in her life. Only him. And not you. "He says, and I simply stare as a tear escapes my eyes. The wailing of his mother is brutally piercing my heart.

"Be strong now. You're not a thief, so you don't have to act like one. You're not responsible for his death. You don't have to act like you are. "He then says as he wipes my tears away, and I swallow and nod.

"Let's go. "He then says as he wraps his long fingers around my wrist, and I follow after him in silence.

As we get to the front of the palace, I see Muyiwa's mother crying heavily over her son's dead body which is covered with a piece of white cloth.

"I'm sorry my men had to bring his body now. I didn't want to ruin the celebrations with news of his death. So I ordered my men to wait till after the coronation ceremony. "King Jagunmolu speaks from the corner where he's standing, as soon as he sees us, and I simply stare in silence.

"What happened to him!? "The king yells in worry as he sees Muyiwa's swollen face, and I gulp.

"Sir, I think it's best that I have a private discussion with the royal family and his mother about the things he did that led to his death. "King Jagunmolu replies, and I swallow and stare up at Adebiyi.

"Who did this to my son?? Spirits of our ancestors, how could you let this happen to my child!? Happen to me!! What wrong he ever do!? Who killed my child!? "Muyiwa's mother wails. Renting her dress in agony, but king Jagunmolu freezes when she directs her mast question at him.

"I'm... I'm sorry, ma, but... We don't know who took your son's life, or what happened to him. We just... We just found him in his bedroom like this... "He then lies. Stealing a glance at Adebiyi and me, and I feel thankful to him on Ayobami's behalf, that he didn't tell on her.

Muyiwa's mother keeps wailing, and as the queen tries to comfort her, I grab Adebiyi's arm and bury my face in it.

"*Mami? "I hear little Motilayo's voice call for the first time in a long time, and my heart shatters like glass as I watch the little girl stare at her brother's body.

The child seems to understand what is happening, as she just freezes upon seeing her brother. But I turn to ice When I watch the little girl collapses. She fainted.

How did she understand that her brother is dead?

"Motilayo!! "Muyiwa's mother screams in panic as she rushes up to pick up her daughter, and as she hugs her, I catch her stealing a dark glance at me. But she quickly turns away and focuses on her child. Trying to wake her up.

What did she look at me like that for??
Maybe I was wrong... Maybe I'm just overthinking. She's petrified and scattered at the moment. Her thoughts and every expression would be distorted.

I should stop overthinking. I'm trying to read meaning into everything, thanks to my fear.

On the queen's order, guards quickly rush Motilayo inside, while they send for a doctor, and they carry Muyiwa's still body out of sight.

Sorrowful things have been happening today. Just this same day when my husband became king. What start of beginning is this?

He is supposed to have a blissful reign. Not a troubled one.