It's Always Darkest Right Before Dawn

Here's the chapter about Langa and Eiji getting closer. I mean, they both lost a sport they loved even if their reasons were different. I always loved the idea that Langa could help Eiji getting over his loss of a pole vaulting career since he is an athlete, too and can understand his feelings better.

After school was over, Langa slowly went home alone, passing the training grounds of the track and field team while lost in thought. He loved watching pole vaulting because it reminded him of flying through the air on a snowboard. Flying weightlessly through the air, if only for a second, was the most powerful and unforgettable feeling ever.

He had abandoned snowboarding voluntarily, but back in Canada, he could have returned anytime. In Okinawa, snowboarding was impossible, and he couldn't just pick up his board again. Now that snowboarding was inaccessible for him, he kind of missed it. While he watched the training, he wondered if he could be as good at skateboarding as he had been at snowboarding. If he could fly again...

Skateboarding had reawakened a feeling within him he assumed he had lost forever when his dad had died. Now that he had felt that sensation again, he had asked Reki to teach him how to skateboard. Even if his first attempt had failed miserably and he had nearly died when a truck had run him over, he was still determined to learn it. And if he was perfectly honest, it also had something to do with the fact that he liked Reki and his passion for skateboarding.

Initially, he thought Reki was weird because he was so loud, talking nonstop and getting over-excited about nothing. He was too emotional for him and, even worse, a hugging person. He rambled on and on about things he loved. He admired his passion and his cheerful personality, though.

After his race against shadow, he had asked Reki if he could teach him skateboarding. After spending a few afternoons with him, he noticed his cheerful and outgoing personality cheered him up, too. He also started to learn and appreciate some new sides of him. Reki was patient with him and an excellent instructor. He also was a fantastic observer and noticed just from watching his first race what his strengths and weaknesses were, which difficulties he had faced back then and what kind of board would fit him best.

Reki didn't get mad if he spaced out or kept quiet and just listened to him. Most people back in Canada always accused him of being too quiet and boring. Reki had never done that. He was talkative enough for both of them, and he was sure that Reki sometimes didn't notice that he was the only one talking. He was always listening intently, though, and somehow Reki felt that. He saw it in his eyes and the knowing glance he cast towards him sometimes. Maybe he had just found his first real friend?

When he had asked Reki to teach him skateboarding, Reki had been so excited that his eyes had sparkled brightly. That's when he had learned that none of Reki's friends shared his passion for skateboarding, so maybe he felt a bit lonely, too. They met nearly every day after school so Reki could teach him the basics. He always looked forward to that, even if all he did right now was fall off the board and injure himself.

Watching the pole vaulting training always reminded him that he wanted to fly through the air again, feeling content and happy.
The sensation of flying was an incredible feeling. You felt powerful and invincible and left all your worries on the ground. He had been a professional athlete and won many tournaments, even if he didn't care about medals or fame. He had just enjoyed spending time with his dad, loved a good challenge while trying out new stunts and flying through the air like a bird, and enjoying the view.

The last skateboarding race had reminded him that he could fly again. During the race, he had felt the same happiness he had always felt when snowboarding with his dad. The feeling had surprised him but had given him new hope, too. His mom had told him this was a new beginning for him. He had uttered his doubts, but maybe she had been right? And skateboarding had felt similar to snowboarding. The breeze, the speed, the adrenaline kick. His heart had beaten faster, and he felt the same excitement as back then. Maybe this was his second chance?