❦𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒘, 𝑺𝒖𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓.❦

TW: stockholm syndrome is a big part in this chapter, so if you find that topic uncomfortable then please read with caution or skip

1387 words                                                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You escaped, but nothing is the same. And how will it be? Sachiko, took you from your previous life, your oblivious state and soaked you in the darkness of the world.

Many things weren't the same after your escape, you used to adore coffee. Now, the scent of it is one of the many triggers to your flight or fight response. Because Sachiko loved it. And with the fabric that covered your eyes you can smell her approaching you.

Coffee was on top of the list, followed by heavy books. You can't even look at those, she always had a book between her hands. And that was after she took off your blindfold. You saw how her large cat- like eyes were terrifying, they were so wide and wild it reminded you of the monster in your nightmares.

You wake up with a bone-chilling feeling crawling on your skin, you were frightened. Then, you go on with your day alarmed for any slight eerie thing that doesn't seem right, just so you can throw everything away and flee the wretched place.

You go to bed with your eyes wide open as you watch your room door, grasping tightly on the knife under your pillow. Just so you feel safe, even though, you lost that feeling a long time ago.

You set up a few rules so you can be close to experiencing the emotion of safety,

Rule number one: Always triple check if your windows and doors are truly locked. In addition to that, place heavy furniture above it, so you are certain Sachiko will not break inside. And even if she did, you will hear it and you will buy yourself enough time to escape.

Rule number two: Always check under the beds, inside the closets, and the cabinets. She always kept cameras there, and if you find one, act as if you don't see it and leave your house, immediately.

Rule number three: Never trust your neighbors, she bribed your previous neighbors to keep silent about her small daily visits.

Rule number four: Keep a weapon in each room of your house, so you have something to protect yourself if she ever showed up.

Rule number five: when you get inside your car, always check the back seat, she used to sit there, and this is where she first abducted you.

Rule number six: Avoid casinos, she first met you there.

Rule number seven: never accept any gambling invitations from anyone.

Rule number eight: Don't bother being kind, that's how to survive in this life.

That's how you've been living for two whole years, and you never let down your guard. How can you? The scars in your ankles and wrists were a daily reminder to you.

You gambled day and night in casinos, that took from you more than it gave you. The thrill was very little due to cheaters and it absorbed all your time and energy. Your current life was the total opposite of your life with Sachiko.

But you loved it this way more, yes, she provided everything to you. But, she didn't give you freedom, and she controlled your simple actions.

You sat stiffly on your bed, something felt off. You had just woke up from your night sleep, you grasped on the knife as you stood up, your running shoes tightly tied around your feet. You inspected your house.

Nothing was unordinary, and you went over your rules more than five times. You blamed it on your constant paranoia, but being skeptical was better than feeling excessively safe and regretting it soon after, with that, you began your journey to look through the house.

But your journey soon ended when you reached to your living room, your eyes widening on the painting hanging above the fireplace. It was a painting of a beautiful vase of flowers, red and pink lily flowers.

But, why are the red and pink lily flowers were pink and red carnation flowers? In one of your gambles, you gambled a flower shop assistant. You were aware that this kind of flower means something, they mean something you refused to believe.

A suffocating feeling wrapped around your throat, your heart tightening in fear, the constant bone-chilling fright traveled to you, the sound of a broken carousel chimed in your brain. She found you. And she changed the painting to tell you that she missed you.

But you don't miss her, and you won't give up.

You turned around slowly and ran towards your bedroom window. The slight paranoia in the back of your head was screaming to you that she will be standing there. But, what if she was standing outside your bedroom window?

Luckily, she wasn't.

And you swiftly escaped your house and ran towards the woods. The thick vegetation slowly consuming your view, however, that's an advantage to you. You have been jogging around these woods each morning, you memorized it.

With each step you take, it was as if the ground was pulling you back. Still, you resisted, you would never allow yourself to lose to him, one time is enough and you wouldn't let that happen to you again.

Everything looked like a nightmare to you, and you deeply wished it was. The cold air pinching your skin proved you otherwise. You read somewhere that said, if you believed something, you will make it.

And you truly wanted to tell yourself that you will escape her once again but seeing your pictures stapled on the trees hammered into your head that, you would never win. Pictures of you, going on with your life from the time you escaped her intoxicating grasp.

From the time you worked as a newspaper delivery person before you got into gambling, but you quit three months ago. As your mind was processing everything going on, the heavy coffee scent reached your nostrils. And it triggered your brain to display your memories with her.

Your screams were echoing your brain, and her relaxing voice was whispering sweet words to you, just to make sure you will remain by her side. But you won't, you want freedom.

But what was the delicacy of freedom, when it wasn't sweet at all? You spent your days in constant terror and you spent your youth, time, and energy into working. Was this freedom? You were alone, because of your trust issues. Was this freedom?

Your legs were numb, just like your mentality. Sachiko found you, she had found you from a long time ago, and she will find you again. And freedom wasn't as sweet as it looked like.

You wanted your previous life, you didn't want freedom.

Your legs motion was becoming slower as you fully stopped, staring at the sky and asking the universe, why was this happening to you? You received no answer, your eyes dropping to meet Sachiko.

She didn't change at all, she looked exactly like how you left her. Her gray hair parted in the middle as it exposed her vermilion eyes burning holes in your head. Her skin looked pristine white under the moonlight, and her attire stood out in between the greenery.

Tears were forming in the corners of your eyes, and an acidic reaching to your stomach. You despised this more than anything. She walked closer to you, your body gave up on you. Strangely, you felt relief when you saw her.

The war is over, you wouldn't fear for your safety anymore, and you will finally be able to sleep at night. Why would you fear anything more when your biggest nightmare was walking towards you.

Her hand stretched, as you put your hand in her palm. You completely gave up, the fatigue was slowly consuming you. You will think about it later, for now, you will rest inside her arms. Sachiko brought your body closer to her.

She looked deep into your eyes, "I won't forgive you for leaving me," she told you. Her hand lightly cupping your face, "You put on a brave fight,", your eyes slowly fluttering as you watched her dark orbs swallow you whole.

"But now, surrender," she told you. And, you did.