𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

♫ ♫ ♫

Greyson Allori

December 12th, 1997

Purpose.

I never understood the concept of life and purpose. My parents never taught me what it's like to be loved. They never gave me the chance to learn the different aspects of living. I was trapped and isolated for sixteen years.

Astraea was the first person to teach me what it's like to be in love. My parents were never in love. They taught me what a relationship is not supposed to be. Love didn't exist for them. I watched my mom suffer at the hand of my father. She would try to reassure me that everything was alright.

Her screams in the middle of the night told a different story in my mind.

She died five days ago. She was brutally murdered by my father and left on her bedroom floor. I found her lifeless body on the ground. She had bled out before I arrived. She had ten knife wounds. Both of her wrists were slit. The knife had been carved into her back four times. Then the rest of the injuries were on her chest and neck. She died almost immediately. The wound on her neck killed her. The knife punctured a vein in her esophagus, and she bled out. I never was able to remove that image from my mind. I haven't slept a full hour since then. Each time I close my eyes, I relive that day. It's a never-ending loop.

Astraea soothes the ache that corrupts me. She's always been there for me. She places a bandage over my wound that is bone deep into my skin.

We met five years ago. I had recently moved to Italy a month before we started school. I had bags under my eyes every day I went to school. I worked after school and night jobs to cover my mom's medical bills when she was severely ill. Her disease consumed her life. Her lungs and heart didn't function properly. Her illness took over my life as well. I was her caregiver since she was diagnosed with pulmonary heart disease when I was ten. Two years later, the doctors told me she wouldn't get better. Every day was a blessing for her. Her condition became terminal. I'd fight the tears whenever I was around her. All I wanted was to be strong for her. I never shed a tear in front of her. I never felt comfortable releasing my emotions in front of people.

Astraea. She was the first person who cared for me when I moved to Italy. She sat next to me in the classes we had together. She'd talk to me even when I ignored her. She offered to tutor me. I denied her offer twice. I eventually gave in when I began to fail my classes. I needed someone to care for me. Rea loved me on my worst and best days. For that, I'll never be able to thank her enough.

It's been six months since I asked Astraea to be my girlfriend. It felt surreal. I've loved Astraea for years. She's my purpose. She's the reason my heart is beating in my chest. Metaphorically and physically. She saved my life.

Tonight I'm taking her out to dinner. It's a beautiful restaurant in Rome. If I propose to Astraea's one day, it'll be there. She's been preparing for her future wedding since she was eleven. She has the venue, dress, and color theme in a scrapbook. Astraea is the opposite of me. I think that's why I'm attracted to her. It's her outgoing smile and desire to live. She has her whole life drawn out.

I've never considered the possibility of living past the age of fifteen. Astraea distracted me from the thoughts that corrupted my mind. I turn eighteen in two months. Astraea and I will be officially moving to America next spring. In July, we both got accepted to a college in America. We're spending the rest of the month in Italy to say goodbye to Rea's family. Many tears have fallen, but Astraea and I want to build a life somewhere new. We desire to have a new beginning. Leaving a place you've considered home for over a decade isn't easy. Both of us are leaving a part of our life.

Roman has been supportive of Astraea leaving Italy, but I can see that it destroys him. She's his little sister. When Rea applied for a college in America, Roman was furious. He didn't want to lose his sister. Over the last couple of months, he began to accept it.

He told me, "Greyson. Take care of her." I've kept my promise. This month I bought Rea and me an apartment in Boston. For everything Astraea has done for me, she deserves this opportunity. I plan on giving her everything she desires.

I felt pulled out of my thoughts as a set of hands wrapped around my shoulders. Rea called out, "Hey, Grey." She paused before continuing, "Tonight, we have dinner with my brother, Blaire, and Hestia." I lifted my head, locking my eyes with hers. God, she's so beautiful. I confessed, "Rea."

A smile flashed across her face. I love her smile. Her sweet laughter makes my heart flutter. She responded, "Yes, love." Her voice. I turned around, caressing the side of her cheek. I whispered, "God, I love you. You're so beautiful, my love." Blush flushes across her cheek. She leaned toward me and pressed her lips to mine. Her soft full lips on mine felt perfect. Astraea is perfect. Her soul is full of love and compassion. I'll always love her into infinity.

Once her lips parted from mine, she muttered, "I love you, Greyson. Always." She stood up, reaching her hand out in front of me. I took her hand, and she pulled me onto my feet. I draped my hand over her shoulders and exclaimed, "Astraea. I think a part of me will miss your brother. He went from being a stranger to a brother to me. He let me into his house and treated me like family when I lost mine."

She brushed her hand against mine and chuckled, "I'll miss him too. Give him a year or two, and he'll be moving to America with us." I added, "Hopefully, he and Blaire will be married."

"I don't know. After what Nora did to him, I think It'll take him longer to commit to a marriage. He does love Blaire. That's undeniable, but he needs time. Nora did a number on him. Mentally and physically."

"I agree. I remember Roman hiding the bruises on his arm. He hid his pain well. Nora can't hurt him anymore. Blaire won't allow anyone to lay a finger on him."

A spark lit in Astraea's eyes. I told her, "Don't cry, love." I wiped the tears from her eyes. She mumbled, "Is leaving the best option? Maybe it's too soon. I can't leave my brother alone."

I held her face in my hands. I reassured her, "Rea. He's not alone. He has someone who loves him. He's going to be okay, and you need this. Roman wants you to be happy. If your happiness isn't here, then that's okay. I want you to be happy, my love." Tears continued to fall from her eyes. She locked her eyes with mine, "I want to leave Italy. But the thought of leaving people I love behind feels selfish."

"Astraea Alessiah Russo. You are not selfish. You are the most selfless person I've met. When we met, you sat next to me in class and during lunch, even when I ignored you. You cared for me when nobody else did. You put my happiness above yours, and now it's my turn. I want to be wherever you are, love."

Her smile grew on her face again. The beautiful smile drew me in all those years ago. I took her hand and spun her into my arms. I slightly dipped her and whispered, "I love you." She pressed her lips to mine and replied, "I love you, too."

I lifted her onto her feet. I let out a deep breath admitting, "We have a dinner to get ready for. I'll meet you downstairs in an hour." Rea quickly pressed her lips on mine before walking toward the door. She stopped in the doorway, turning toward me. She told me, "Thank you, Grey."

"For?"

"Thank you for existing. I couldn't imagine a world without you."

I could feel my cheeks flush. I responded, "Love. I'm not going anywhere." She chuckled, going into her bedroom next to mine.

The word love doesn't describe how I feel about her. It's more than that. She's like oxygen that I need to survive. She's the lifesaver keeping me above the water, so I don't drown.

♫ ♫ ♫

Thank you for reading chapter two of Unread Messages. I love you all so much!

The second unread message by Greyson will be out later tonight. <3 Stay tuned.

If you have any questions about this book or the series let me know.

My socials:

tiktok: authorjules

I love you all and have a great day/night. <3