CHAPTER EIGHT

Soda grins widely as Steve rushes back into the DX. The blonde had no clue about what had been going on outside. He was just excited to hang out with Steve and get to know him better. 

He makes his way out from behind the counter. 

"I finished cleaning up the front. Should be all mopped and the trash is taken out," he says. "Do you need any help in the garage? Just to finish up quicker."

The male sways a bit on his feet, lower lip caught between his teeth. He looked like a lovesick teenager. And he really was one, to be honest. Steve was his soulmate and they were both aware of that. It was a good feeling. 

He never thought that he'd find his real soulmate before he got old. So finding Steve so young was a blessing. The male would get to live his whole life with someone to love him. 

"Nah, all finished up," Steve responds. "Was actually gonna get out here before Two-Bit came."

Soda tips his head. "What did Two-Bit want? He mentioned picking you up." 

Steve pauses for a moment, a little hesitant. After seeing Two-Bit and hearing his outburst, he didn't want the blonde to look at him any differently. Two-Bit was usually bubbly and always smiling. Tonight he'd seen a side of him he'd never seen before. He was upset about something.

"We were supposed to go out to eat tonight. But I explained that you were my soulmate and wanted to get to know you better," the brunette responds after a few moments. "He said that he understood and we'd get together another time."

He wouldn't mention how Two-Bit had looked when he told him about Soda, how he'd seen the heartbreak in his eyes. The male didn't know why it was there so he didn't want to bring it up. Besides, he was too excited to be with Soda, his soulmate! 

"Oh, I'm glad that he understands," Soda chirps. "It ain't everyday that you get to meet your soulmate. And we work together, it's practically perfect."

Soda giggles, causing Steve's cheeks to warm. He couldn't wait to get to see more of the blonde. All of his smiles and how he acts around him. The brunette had been dreaming of this moment since he was young. 

"It is pretty perfect," the brunette responds. "Let's get going."

"Where are we headed?" 

"That's for me to know and for you to find out," Steve retorts. "We can take my car."

"It's a good thing Darry dropped me off then." 

Steve laughs and he nods, making his way to the front door. He turns the sign to say 'CLOSED' before flipping the lights off. Sods follows the older male out of the door, using his keys to lock up. 

The blonde was eager to know where Steve was taking him. But he'd be as patient as he could manage to be. The two get into Soda's car, both buckling up before Steve drives off. 

Although from his many trips to the drive-in with Ponyboy, Soda very quickly realized where they were headed. 

"The drive-in!" He says excitedly. Although he wasn't sure what he'd be able to watch. The blonde had a short attention span and couldn't sit still long enough to watch a movie. But for Steve's sake, he wouldn't say anything. It would be rude. "I wonder what's playing tonight."

Steve couldn't help but pout a little, glancing at the blonde as he drove. He didn't expect him to figure out their destination so soon.

"How'd you know?"

"I take Ponyboy all the time. He's not supposed to get there on his own. Usually it's Two-Bit or Johnny that tag along." 

Steve smiles. He feels like he's remembered Two-Bit saying something about the youngest Curtis loving the movies.