CHAPTER TWO

"Congratulations, you two."

Celest and Kaius shared a smug look as their distant friend hugged them. They both knew it was only a social procedure. Both were very social and tried to maintain friendships at their children's school and community. Regardless, certain individuals just rubbed the mates the wrong way. Marie happened to be one of them.

"Thanks, Marie," Celest responded.

Most wouldn't see a difference in her expression or tone, but Kaius knew her better than she knew herself. He could tell, by the way her smile became taut and how her voice went up abnormally high, she was annoyed.

"Honestly, it's parents like you who are the heroes!"

"How so?" Celest asked.

"Well, because you're both so old, adopting a baby so young!"

Kaius had to wrap his arms around his wife to make sure she didn't hit the other woman. He pulled her away from the conversation, finding it amusing as she vocalized her annoyance in Spanish. Kaius was almost fluent, so he picked up a few things along the lines of "I'm old? I bet her vagina has cobwebs." He pulled her into the kitchen, where there were no guests.

Celest suddenly regretted begging to have a baby shower for Aella. She'd thought a party would be the perfect celebration after spending some quality time with the baby and her family. Now she wished she had taken the girls to the park instead.

Adopting Aella was an easy choice for her, almost an unspoken truth that she was theirs. Celest had the time, funds, and love to care for an adoptive child. After having Eveline, she and Kaius decided not to try to have another child. The pregnancy had been difficult for Celest, more so for the average human or lycanthrope. And then like fate, Aella came into their lives. She was a beautiful, sweet baby. They could never imagine not having her in their family.

"I'm gonna fight that bitch," Celest threatened. "I'm telling you that right now."

Kaius nodded and put his hands up in surrender.

"I'm not old!" She balled her hands into fists. "I'm thirty-four!"

"Sweetheart, forget what they say."

She turned her head, knowing that if she looked him in the eye, she would cave in, and all her anger would go away.

"Do you think I look old?" She pouted.

Kaius always found her adorable when her bottom lip curled into a small frown, but he also disliked seeing her upset.

"Of course not. You're as sexy as ever," he whispered, pulling her into his chest.

Aella had been with them for three weeks. She slept through the night and ate regularly. She and her sister also got along well. Eveline seemed to love being a big sister.

Eveline ran to her father, covering her ears. "Daddy, are they leaving soon?"

"Soon, princess."

"My ears hurt." She pouted.

Celest sighed. She could never understand how sensitive their hearing was, but they shouldn't be uncomfortable for her amusement.

"Don't worry, hija, the party is ending now."

Eveline was lycan like her father. Her shift would not occur until after some years, but her senses were still hypersensitive. The family had to take measures to make sure she could live in the human world. It would be a little easier for her, though. She was born into this lifestyle.

They had her wear earplugs and showed her how to concentrate on one sound so her head wouldn't hurt as badly. They packed her sunglasses and fabric sheets in case any of her other senses got uncomfortable. They tried their best, but Celest still felt guilty. They could never move to pack lands because she was human. And now that Aella was in their family, she would never put her human daughter at risk. Humans couldn't live on lycan land. They could barely step a foot there.