Day 1: October 13 - Good At Everything

Monday

Our family members were reduced from four to three ages ago. My younger brother, Cove, both fragile and blind had retreated to death too early when he was seven. I was eleven at the time. My family went from three to two recently, though it's only temporary. Dad's on a business trip trying to win back money, working towards the life that we want- what they want. I don't know what I want.

Tearing my gaze away from the framed picture of the four smiling faces standing upon the living room windowsill, I scoop up my school bag shrugging it over my royal blue feather jacket. Seasons are rapidly changing. Fall has officially arrived.

Before leaving, I double-check my belongings. My mother walks down the stairs in her floral nightdress placing a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"See you later, angel," she murmurs my childhood nickname in her soft morning voice and then wanders into the kitchen to start on her breakfast. My dad would've done the same thing if he were still here. Fortunately, he promised he'd be back by Christmas.

Gathering my long, raven hair on the right side of my shoulder, I yell one last "goodbye" to my mom and step outside, locking the door.

I break off into a sprint as I see my best friend, Perrin waiting patiently ahead on the cobbled streets. Her dark eyes shine as she waves at me excitedly. Her distinct red-brown hair always touched up with her signature star pin transforms into a rose chestnut hue in the sunlight and the ends dance in the commencing season's breeze.

She holds something. A book in her hands that I'm able to distinguish once I catch up.

I've never seen her pick up a book, or a book that isn't related to the mythical nation, Phendonia, at least.

"So the war between the Orephius and Cystinite tribes was 3000 years ago. I miscalculated."

So far, they've been the two most mentioned tribes in her stories of Phendonia.

"Perrin-"

"Oh and apparently people are testing for ways they can actually identify a Phendonian descendant. Like identifying the specific hue of one's eye. Oh, or the response of giving someone a floral substance to consume, like rose or chamomile."

She is officially obsessed. Her walking pace picks up even faster as she rambles on.

"Firstly, I'm allergic, and secondly, Perrin-"

"Imagine, people would have thought they disappeared 3000 years ago or that they didn't exist at all. But what if-"

"Perrin!" My voice pierces the subtle air and it makes her attention spring like a meerkat. "A proper greeting would have been nice," I snort.

"Right," she replies, "hey, Cassia. Also, I think I found something you might not be good at."

"Try me." I give a slight smirk.

She hurls a rapid fire of hobbies.

"Ice skating?"

"Never fell once."

"Knitting, surely."

"I made you a scarf for goodness sake."

"Violin? Double bass?"

"Aced both. You were there for my last performance."

"Photography."

"And you wonder why you have amazing profile pictures on all your socials!"

"Phendonian history. Hah!"

"You ask this every time, Perrin. I could tell you everything you need to know. I'm just not interested in it." I fold my arms resisting the urge to glance back down at her book.

"No. You're jealous that I'm better than you at something."

We take a right onto a different avenue, fifteen minutes early for school as always. The air cools as the sun hides timidly beneath a cloud, plunging both of us into its shadow. Our school, Willows High, is in sight. The blue metal gate swings wide open though most students wait in the school park until the last minute.

"Hey, freak!"

"Nerd!"

"Tryhard!"

"Wannabe!"

Two figures holler from behind and they approach us eagerly. Perrin groans. I sigh, needingly wishing that we had entered the school earlier than planned.

When Miss Alson showed them up because of me, it was utter humiliation for them of course. The mental note I took down that day reminds me to avoid getting one hundred percent in the next baseline assessment, otherwise, I'd be dead for sure. Both despise me with a passion. Their competitive nature makes it obvious.

They've done nothing but insult me and all I've done was try to brush it off.

They have other plans today though, grabbing my hands and harshly ushering me towards the abandoned alleyway we stopped in front of.

"If you're so good at everything, tell us what's on the other side of this thing," the girl, Briella, shoves me away from Perrin, swatting her bitter hand over my back to force me forwards, splitting me from my friend.

It's a rumor that if one goes through, they never return. It catches my eye every time I pass it even if it's not worth looking at. I don't believe in the paranormal, ghosts, or spirits. But the stories I've heard about the ivy-engulfed alleyway make me tremble to the soles of my feet.

Jacob twists my arm, dragging me past the towering stone posts. It houses sinister barbed wires, debris, and shattered bricks, layering the ground I can barely see.

"You realize that you're coming with me if you try to pull me through," I calmly explain, though the pain in my wrist makes me grit my teeth. Ignoring me, they knock me down further.

No one has ever thought of going through it. No one has ever seen anyone else go through it. Funnily enough, everyone knows what's on the other side: another neighborhood and a small market. But no one has ever tried to take that shot.

Perrin darts before us, bringing her knee up to Jacob's gut and he releases me in response to his pain. Knowing her, she's usually the rough tomboy who isn't afraid to beat up anyone after her. In middle school, she made that clear, sneering at anyone who'd think she's weak.

"Perrin. Gentler," I fix a solid stare at her.

She pries Briella off my back as if she were an invasive parasite, throwing her to the floor and ignoring me overall.

"School's starting. You're welcome." She pats her hands together as if she was proud of her work.

My bag has slipped down my shoulders. I readjust the straps and take Perrin's hand, entering the gates. Part of me is thankful for my friend's defense. However, her unnecessary actions will make them dislike me more.

When I look at Jacob and Briella helping each other up, both toss me a hostile glare and I know that I'm increasing in their target range. They want me beat and they want Perrin out of their path. We're not even that far into the school year yet.

Why the alleyway? If I wanted to get anywhere on the other side, I'd simply go around it as everyone else would. They all say it's haunted which I refuse to believe. But even people like me will never risk taking that shortcut. If there truly are terrible consequences of the alleyway, Jacob and Briella must really hate me.

~