Day 2: October 14 - Not A Stranger

Tuesday

A third tray is set out in front of us.

"Mom. Stop overworking yourself." I lay my hand on top of her mittens. "The cookies are delicious but I'm stuffed."

Perrin chuckles, stealing another treat from the hot tray. "It helps me focus."

"It's distracting you," I grumble, marking another one of her answers wrong. "You're skipping steps, see?"

Perrin pulls her hair back, flicking her pin. She scrutinizes the practice question like a suspicious consent form. Then, her eyes widen in realization and I sense that she notices what she had done wrong. "Oh! I see it now. Told you these cookies are major brainpower."

My mom takes it into account, "glad you like them, Perrin. Sometimes I hope that my baking would help old Cass loosen up here."

"Mom."

My friend gives a snicker and I roll my eyes. "Aunt Lillian's right, Cass. You're good enough as it is. You should be happy you get full marks every time."

"I'm helping you," I offer a grin, passing her the pen.

After washing up, my mother nabs her laptop to resume her work upstairs. Passing me and Perrin, she gives me a delicate little peck on the forehead and leans in to embrace us two.

When she disappears, Perrin grins at me, though it doesn't quite reach her eyes. She finishes swallowing her cookie, biting the insides of her cheeks and they flush a bright red. "You're lucky to have her."

"Hey," I retort, thumping my fist on the table. I survey the worry on her face. "Forget the foster system. You're our family."

Her family doesn't treat her the way we do. It disgusts me. I will never leave my sister figure. She will not be abandoned. Me and my mother forbid it. Perrin is a fighter yet also precious.

With a thankful smile, she signals when she is finally done with her question and I approve of the method she has worked through. "Getting better." I mimic a tiny applause. "You're gonna smash that next test."

"Yeah, and beat that Jacob idiot so that he has something else to focus on rather than target you all the time."

"No. I'm helping you beat yourself. Not Jacob or anyone else," I expand.

"Cassia, listen to yourself," Perrin protests. "You can fight. Why don't you use that against them?"

"I don't want to fight. That's gonna make them dislike me even more. I'm already hated enough as it is."

"I mean, fine. If you always want me to be doing the dirty work for you." Perrin huffs, pushing herself away from the table, "I know we're tired from school, but I feel that I need some fresh air. Y'know, a little break?"

I make an exception for the sake of preventing burnout from my friend. Standing up, I reach out for the tupperware in one of the higher cupboards to preserve the remaining cookies after grabbing one myself. "Where do you feel like going?"

"Maybe the park," she shrugs nonchalantly, "not for too long though. Probably just a short walk or sit-down."

Indulging in the suggestion, I agree with what she feels like doing at this current moment. "Mom? Are we allowed to go to the park?"

She consents, making me dive for my keys. Our jackets are once again disturbed as Perrin and I tug them on. The door is bashed open, battering the poor wall behind it and the two of us rush out in an instant, a cloud of dust lifting after us. "Thanks, Mom! We'll be back in about an hour."